Help: 'sending' Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo POP w/Outlook

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help: \'sending\' Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo POP w/Outlook

I've been putting this off way too long and was hoping some CPF'ers have the knowledge to help. I've tried, but still doesn't work.

I currently retrieve Gmail POP with Outlook 2002 But cannot send with Gmail server/POP using Outlook. Any suggestions or links with good detailed info that a cromagnon could follow?

Also wanted to set up my Hotmail and Yahoo POP to retrieve as well as send.

thanks for looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Help: \'sending\' Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo POP w/Out

I don't know about hotmail but yahoo you have to get a premium account in order to access it via a POP server.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Do you have your outgoing SMTP set to whatever your ISP's SMPT is? Some services won't allow relaying.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

This baffled me for a long time, but I finally figured it out.

Most ISP's now block the sending of anything to port 25, which is the normal port used by SMTP. It's done to try to control spam. Most ISP's have an SMTP server of their own that you can use on port 25, but anything else is blocked.

My Hypercon ISP supposedly has an SMTP server I can use, but it rarely works for me, and the Hypercon support staff seems clueless. Earthlink's SMTP server always works, but they are expensive. Yahoo mail requires me to use only port 25, so that is useless to me.

I now have a subscription to an SMTP server at authsmtp.com that allows me to use another port. This costs $25 per year but works well. Now I'm independent of any ISP and their alleged SMTP service.

By the way, SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, and that's what e-mail clients like Outlook use for sending mail. I call it Stupid Mail Transfer Protocol, but that's another story.

AW

Newly Enlightened

Try using port 465 for SMTP.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have been trying them without success yet. I did try emailing google and received their auto response with all the basic step by step instructions. Which don't seem to work.

GreenLED: I use Outlook along with my business website hosting servers to send and recieve without any problems. I'm thinking the ISP doesn't matter. Please correct my line of thought here if I'm missing it.

eluminator: I looked at the site and was wondering... I tried using my other hosting servers as a send server for gmail but the 'from' lines reflect my business emails in the replys. Is it the same with the authsmtp.com? I can't seem to find a work-around.

I have looked at the gmail intructions repeatedly and they are very simple to follow. I'd post a link but you need to be logged in to view it anyway.

Hotmail was too easy to set up since it is a Microsoft product like Outlook. Yahoo requires premium fee account. It's really the gmail account I was hoping to get working.

Still looking for a gmail POP send with Outlook /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm thinking it has to do with the wierd 465 port numbers they require.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's a program called hotmail popper. You can get it a tucows. It might solve your problem.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
eluminator: I looked at the site and was wondering... I tried using my other hosting servers as a send server for gmail but the 'from' lines reflect my business emails in the replys. Is it the same with the authsmtp.com? I can't seem to find a work-around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they let you use any "from address". They specifically say you can use your own domain name. I think it would have to be that way because I don't have a "pop" account there. I use yahoo mail for that. Actually you have to register the "from addresses" you will use beforehand. The cheapest account, which is what I have, allows ten addresses.

http://authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/your-domain-name.html

I'm not at my own computer right now, but I will check it out more in a day or two when I'm back home.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the way, "POP" (Post Office Protocol) is for receiving only. I think so anyway. Your "POP" account is supposedly on-line 24/7 and accumulates the mail others send to you. The POP protocol is actually the protocol that e-mail clients like Outlook use to pull your mail down to your own computer. This is entirely independent of the SMTP protocol you use for sending. The POP isn't blocked, just SMTP.

Actually there is another newer protocol for this also. IMAP (Internet Mail Access Protocol). I think it is used by Hotmail/Outlook. It has advantages if you want to access your mail from several computers.

Yahoo mail gives me a POP account for receiving mail. They also have an SMTP server that I always used in the past to send mail. I suppose most mail services work this way. Unfortunately since the ISPs started blocking outgoing traffic on port 25 I can no longer use Yahoo for sending mail.

I asked Yahoo if I could send mail to them to an alternate port and they told me no.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK!! I found a fix. I updated from Office 2002 to Office 2003 and it works great. However now all of a sudden Hotmail doesn't support Outlook for free anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

glad you fixed this. I bumped into the same problem setting up my wife's new Gmail account. In my case it was the SMTP port.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

My outgoing mail sent from my Gmail account in Outlook seems to be having problems too. My fix: Remove the account from Outlook, and go about it the old fashioned way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had various issues with POP/SMTP, so now I just use internet mail via the standard GMail interface. I find it works great for my needs and there are no hassles.