Removing corrosion from Mini-M*g

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a battery stuck in my Mini-M*g, I got the first out with a screw, turned it in and pulled it out. Second one, no such luck.
How do I clean this thing and get the battery out?
I am sure this has been discussed before, I looked, I really did.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
If you know the manufacturer of the battery, try sending it back to them. If you can't for some reason, try vinegar. Alkaline residue from the battery is what is jamming it, vinegar is usually suggested by the manufacturer to clean up spills.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
PydPiper

The sulphation of the aluminum Minimag tube may have been such that the damage will be too great to rectify? Hope this is not the case but it is quite possible. Your best bet would be to do as Blackeagle suggests and return it to the manufacturer. At least that way you stand a 50-50 chance of a new Minimag and batteries. The alternative could be a lump of sulphated aluminum.
Doug

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it may be over for the little fellow..
I gave it everything I had last night, to no avail.
Ill send it back to mag with a note and see what happens..
Thanks guys, I was hoping for some "magic" cure.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
try sending it to the battery manufacturer instead of mag. mag's warrenty doesnt cover leaky batteries.

Rammer

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar problem and I'm tempted to drill out the battery.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Reptilezs said:
try sending it to the battery manufacturer instead of mag. mag's warrenty doesnt cover leaky batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see, that makes more sense.. It is my sons mag, so they are probally cheapies..
I'll try anyways.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rammer said:
I have a similar problem and I'm tempted to drill out the battery.

[/ QUOTE ]
This option sounds like more fun, I have a well equipped shop so maybe Ill try that.. The worst that can happen is I am out a $10 light, and I am bound to learn something in the process. (i hope the lesson isn't "never drill a battery")
I will do this today and post pics of my progress.
I fear the aluminum may have been deteriorated beyond repair, Ill know soon.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Failure.
My intention was to use my second mini to get measurements, most important was the depth of the drill before hitting the vital lead and plastic at the base (115cm), then match the Inside diameter of the tube to a bit and start drilling.
The drill press idea was great, but the damage was too severe at the electronics.
It was a fun (cold) trial and if it had been the other battery or even the other end of the bad battery I may have had a chance.
I should have tried to get the electronics out before even starting.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
PydPiper

The sulphation of the aluminum Minimag tube may have been such that the damage will be too great to rectify? Hope this is not the case but it is quite possible. Your best bet would be to do as Blackeagle suggests and return it to the manufacturer. At least that way you stand a 50-50 chance of a new Minimag and batteries. The alternative could be a lump of sulphated aluminum.
Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those "told you so" moments.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif