The Future of Tires???

Reptilezs

Enlightened
if it could mimick the feel of a regular bicycle tire,i think it would be very popular with cyclists. no need to change the tube when riding over nails and other debris

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Actually I heard their original version was just an all-steel disk like a locomotive wheel but they couldn't get the government to agree to repave all the roads with rubber... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Looks like an allright idea to me, but what happens when something sizable gets lodged between the "spokes"?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
Looks like an allright idea to me, but what happens when something sizable gets lodged between the "spokes"?

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks like an awsome idea to me. Maybe what they could do is put some bendy mesh on the sides of the gaps to keep the crap out. Still though, it's a great idea.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that that is a demo version so people can see te technology and that the street tire will LOOK conventional, so that mud, sticks, bricks and so on don't get in there.

Bill

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
What would worry me more is when the crap becomes *un*-lodged. If someone were travelling around a curve and picked up a significant amount of gravel, it would be flung at speeds of up to twice that of the moving vehicle. A piece of gravel as big as the end of your finger would crack your skull if it hit you at 200 km/h.

Also, driving through puddles could be a *really* interesting sight. I can see the tweels acting as paddle tweels, hurling thousands of gallons of water in a very dramatic fashion.

They're going to have to invent some type of durable skirt or cover to avoid these issues.

Darell

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Say... I saw some *other* stuff worth looking at on those pages too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MrMimizu

Enlightened
No more needing to check tire pressure, no more flats. I can't wait. Every new car my parents have bought has had a flat within 2 months of purchase. Good thing is that they were repairable. I've also had a tire blow out on the highway. Rather than risk changing tire on shoulder, I killed it and drove to the next exit.

I'd say the centaur would be the only other interesting thing on that page. Not a big fan of Mexican cars.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
MrMimizu: "Rather than risk changing tire on shoulder, I killed it and drove to the next exit."

You must have been on the 401 or the Don Valley Parking lot. I agree with your decision... given the choice between saving a tire or your life, I'd pick my life too.

MrMimizu: "Not a big fan of Mexican cars."

I discovered that the 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier I leased was assembled in Mexico... You never know.

Mednanu

Enlightened
Here's to no more parking garage fees for anyone who has these tires - you can easily go out the Entrance ( over the one-way spikes ) w/o fear of a flat ! LOL.

It would also cause a bit of a nightmare for the POlice, as they could no longer use their spike strips effectively.

The new design definitely raises some logistical questions that will need to be addressed.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks neat to me. I though this was a gag site or it was a paddle wheel.