Will a 3.6v 950mAh 1/2AA lithium work w/ E1e+KL1?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few of these interesting batteries. They are 1/2AA size, 3.6 volt, 950 mAh. Does anyone know if there would be any problem using one of these with my E1e+KL1(aside of using a sleeve to make it fit a bit better)? I wouldn't think there would be any problem, but I don't want to damage the KL1 module by putting a questionable battery in it. By the way, is the KL1 current regulated also or only voltage regulated?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Will a 3.6v 950mAh 1/2AA lithium work w/ E1e+K

It won't work very well. That's a computer memory battery intended for use at very low current drain. If you try to run a KL1 with it, the KL1 won't be damaged, but if it lights up at full brightness at all, runtime will be quite limited.

Just use a 123 which will fit fine in your KL1. 123's are less expensive than those 3.6 volt cells anyway.

If you want to do something interesting with the 3.6 volt cell, cut a CMG Infinity or Ultra down to 1/2AA size (or an Arc AA if you're feeling rich), remove the electronics and replace them with a direct drive white or cyan LED. Presto, you have a rather dim tiny survival light with incredible runtime, like 100+ hours at CMG Infinity-like brightness.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, I acquired a bunch of them because they were going to be thrown away. So, it isn't expensive at all. I have about 50 or 60 of them. As long as they won't hurt the KL1, I don't mind if they don't perform quite as well.

paulr

Flashaholic

1) I think their performance will be much worse than "not quite as well". It will be terrible.

2) These cells have a very toxic chemistry (lithium thionyl chloride) and shouldn't be used casually. They're special purpose cells. They shouldn't be thrown away in the garbage either. Take them to a battery recycler when you're done with them.

If you're using them for computer memory (they'll run it for years) or for an ultra-long-running light, you'll only dispose of one once in a great while, which maybe isn't so bad. But your KL1 will eat them like candy.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I needed to know. I will dispose of them in a hazmat facility and instead use my 123's from my 6P and 9P for the E1e+KL1. Thanks very much for the info.