Should I fork over the cash for an EDC light?

jdempsey

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie to the LED scene but have been investigation options for several weeks. I recently bought an Inova T3 and love it for it's throw and apparent quality. I need a smaller, easy carry....perhaps with variable power. I've looked at the EDC's and am impressed ...but they're steep $$$...I've also considered an Arc LS (seen several on Ebay).....but would consider other options.
I'm looking for reasonable light time with good (maybe variable) brightness. Something to move around a house, campsite or tent but not necessarily the output of the T3
Anybody have any advice?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey jdempsey, welcome to CPF, why dontcha stay awhile!

Um, the answer to your question, is, ah, YES!

welcome again,
daloosh

paulr

Flashaholic
The Nuwai Q3 at around $40 is a favorite around here recently. 3 watt Luxeon, good smooth beam, 1x123, HA2 finish, not the best looking or toughest light in the world, but excellent in function and a big bargain.

I wouldn't spend big bucks on an Arc LS these days. It's a classic and has sentimental value to many, but it's like buying an Apple II or something. If you want a high-end light, try an Aleph from the McGizmo forum ($170 and up). They are really well designed lights and have a very intuitive 2-stage switch.

Really though, for just something to "move around a house, campsite or tent", a keychain light (Photon or equivalent) or an Arc AAA/Peak 1AAA/CMG Ultra/etc. really should do you just fine. KevinL is selling some very nice Photon II clones for $1.25 each. At that price it's worth buying a bunch so everyone in your family can have one.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perhaps the most important thing I could possibly say is that in any situation where you need it, the light that is on you (regardless of power, capabilities, etc.) will be the most valuable light you have. You can have a drawer full of the world's most powerful lights at home when you're out in the sticks and they wouldn't make a difference. For this reason I've made absolutely no compromises when it comes to my EDC light.

If you are looking for moderate power with excellent runtime, try the Surefire L1 LumaMax. Variable power output is REALLY good to have, the L1 is a two-stage - low beam for reading in the dark, high beam for the same power as the Arc LS.

Quality EDCs are hard to come by, but like I said, I don't mind spending on them (cutting back on other lights) because the EDC is the most valuable light you'll have in the event of an 'incident'.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Okay, for a more reasoned answer, I use an Infinity Ultra in the tent, and to move around camp, that's pretty inexpensive, and you still have your T3 for throw.

On the EDC front, I think I saw a modded Arc LS sell around $80 last week, not bad at all. And you could build a Firefly v2 out of parts at the Shoppe, probably around a hundred without a sandwich. I don't have a Nuwai QIII, but you'll see many complimentary things written here about them, less than $50, and if it's not the tint you like, you can easily swap out the star for twenty bucks.

Turning to incan, since you have an LED, consider a Surefire E1e, used around $60, small and bright, and easy to add a KL1 or KL4 later.

Search here for EDC, and you'll find a lot of ideers!

daloosh

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, since you only registered yesterday, unless you've been doing a whole lot of lurking and searching, I might suggest you pick up something economical like the QIII to use while you are researching which upper end light might be best suited for your needs/wants.

I've never handled the HDS lights and I'm sure they are very nice quality but in the 'over $50' category, I'd want to do my research before jumping in.

And welcome to CPF!

kodiak

Enlightened
I EDC a Firefly II. It has a two stage switch and is a pefect size for me. It truly is a great EDC light. You are right (imo) to want variable power. Most of the time I use it on low, but it's nice to have the candlepower if you need it!

sithjedi333

Enlightened
I highly recommend the Fire~Fly II. I will probably pick up another Aleph or HDS light in the near future too.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I would recommend that you get yourself a Peak AAA light and put it on your keychain. Closest thing to the Arc AAA that is considered the benchmark.

I don't have an Aleph yet but I hear they are fantastic. Something I do have is McGizmo's KL1 host with a Surefire KL1 on it. I have this setup and EDC it. The two stage tailcap lets you have a dim light and a high level.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Surefire L1 & U2, an Infinity Ultra-G, an Eternalight Elite Max, and a couple of Nuwai Q3 lights. I do love the L1 and U2, but the Q3 is the one that goes in the pocket routinely as a just-in-case light. Its shorter than the L1, and I keep it in the cheesy nylon holster it came with so nothing in my pocket scratches the lens up.

If I were going camping, I would definitely take the L1 and the Ultra-G, because the low levels are more useful when its really dark and you are needing close-up light. I did buy a gorgeous purple/black anodized Aleph2 from McGizmo for my wife. She carries it in one of the Q3 holsters in her purse, but its too pretty for my EDC use.

The U2 is really an around the house or take a walk utility light for me.

Maybe after all the bugs are worked out (assuming there are any) and the reviews are in, I'll buy an HDS light for EDC. Or I'll pick up a McGizmo Aleph2 with a titanium clip (when those are ready). The future is bright!

Oh, I almost forgot. There is a PhotonII (or clone) on every keychain in the house. And, two of my car keys that came with built-in incandescent 'pretend' lights have been upgraded with nice, bright, white LEDs cannibalized from PhotonII clones. LEDs are all over the place at my house - never one far from hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gorlank

Enlightened
heck yes,
Sooner or later, you'll need that light be it a $20 Mag or one of the super lights that I drool over on the Custom BST forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Soundchaser

Newly Enlightened
I'm basically new to the scene, too. I bought the Q-III about a month ago and have really enjoyed it. I wear it every day to work (with khakis or dressy trousers). I think it's a pretty good value.

It seems to me to have good spill, very good throw for the size. Of course, I own none of the other popular lights to compare. Not quite small eough for the pocket, to me, but is almost completely unobtrusive in it's (somewhat chintzy, but free included) pouch on my belt.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
One suggestion regarding the Nuwai QIII, it may be worth the extra dollars to buy one selected by led tint, some users in the B/S/T forum sell this way.

or you can go CR2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Pablo