Suggestions for AA device

DA FACTS

Newly Enlightened
Jerome81,

The X5T uses 123 litiums cells not AAs.

From what I read, the Reactor gets high marks for brightness and affordability.

I got my Arc AAA le recently at Pocketlights.com for $37. Kinda of expensive but thats the going rate for this instant collectible.

PT stands for Princeton Tec brand of dive flashlight. I own (2) surges. For $23 they are a steal and run on 4 or 8 AAs. Extremely bright for an AA flashlight.

I own the X5T, its an awesome led light but you wont get that much distance for outside night hiking. Perfect for the home searching or the car's glove box.

Hope this helps,

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Jerome
Arc is selling LS seconds for $50.00 from their site. You'll never get a flashlight as good any cheaper. Don't let the "second" scare you. It'll still be better than the alternatives, especially if you can spring for the 2AA batt. holder to run it even cheaper. I think they also come w/ a 7day return so if you don't fall in love with it, (and you will), send it back. They might have some left.

rodmeister

Enlightened
Yeah, definitely get the second. I just got one of the $49.95 ARC LS's. It has cosmetic blemishes but functions great. You may never see them at $49.95 ever again! Seconds usually go for $70, and the newer generation ARC LS seconds will undoubtedly be ever higher. Get it! Life is too short to settle for second best!

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
I agree so I copied my earlier post from another thread here to give you more info on this.

THIS IS THE NEW FLASHLIGHT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.
Hurry and run don't walk before they all sell out.
ARC's factory is selling factory seconds on their webpage right now subject to their running out. THe link is here:
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/facsecarwhit.html

This version of the ARC LS is the hybrid. It has the older body which suffers from not enough threads (it only turns one complete turn before the flashlight head comes off). It also has the screw on bezel which is subject to flex failure (the bezel and flashlight head stop conducting electricity and need to be retightenned or some such thing I really don't know I just read what others have posted).

However the good things about this flashlight are:
It has the new DC DC booster circuit board designed by Dat2Zip (I think). It has the newer 400 luxeon which is 10 percent darker but makes the batteries last much longer. This flashlight is BRIGHTER than most others you're going to find for 50 bucks; it's bright. In the stores it's selling for 92 dollars, see below:
First link is arc ls orderpage. Second link shows that what you're orderring for 92 bucks actually is the 49 dollar hybrid.
http://www.vicomptel.com/arclights/arcls.htm
http://www.vicomptel.com/arclights/index.htm

At arc's homepage you'll get the same light the hybrid for 49 bucks. This is called the factory second. It is sold as is. But I bought one and it is great. Just a little purple bluish but for 49 dollars it's the sweetest thing I bought. You're just not going to find anything else fully assembled for this price with all these features such as the state of the art DCDC booster circuit for full power with NIMH batteries etc. Make sure you buy the 2 AA holder for it so you can run it with rechargeables or alkalines or lithium AA's.

Otherwise for 50 bucks email lambda and pre order one of his lambda illuminators. It too has a DCDC booster circuit and runs on 2 AA's.

There are other good fully assembled flashlights IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS THE ABOVE TWO FLASHLIGHTS but they are very expensive. This arc ls hybrid normally costs 120 dollars. It only recently came down because the factory is now shipping the new REV2 model for 150 dollars. The rev2 has lots of threads on the head so it can turn many revolutions before disengaging. Also the entire head is one chunk of aluminum in the rev2; there no longer is a separate bezel screw on cap to suffer what ARC calls flex failure.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Surefire 4AA LED ProPolymer with 7 LEDs?

Michael

Newly Enlightened
I think RonM meant the Streamlight 4AA LED ProPolymer with 7 LEDs. Surefire makes no such flashlight.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire comes out with a 4AA LED? Propolymer with 7 LEDs comes from StreamLight. I think you mean streamlight for the 4AA LED also.

aso

Enlightened
Head on over to dat2zip's store and pick up a Badboy 400 drop-in pill for the minimag. It's regulated and in your price range.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello. I'm a newbie looking for a solid all around buy on a AA cell LED flashlight. I've browsed around here, doing searches, I've gone to the websites where they do ratings, etc, but as things seem to change so quickly I'm hoping the gurus here will be willing to give me a good recommendation.

I'm going to be mainly using this as an around the home general use flashlight, as well as for walking during the winter. Also for fun. Here are the ones that keep catching my eye. I'm curious what you have to say on pros and cons for each, and what you would choose for your light. If I'm forgetting something really good here,please tell me. Lastly I'd like to keep the light below $50, with $30-$40 being ideal. I'd love the ARC LS, but too much $$
wink.gif
Regulated would be nice, if thats even possible in this price category.

X5 Tactical
CMG Reactor III
Lightwave 2100 (not the 2000)
Trek 4
Mr. Bulk LGI (not sure the price on this one..)
Impact

No Eternalight. Wrong shape.

Lastly, where can I get an ARC LE for fairly cheap? Seems they're hard to come by.

And lastly, what does "PT" stand for?

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping some of you will be willing to help me out. Again, if I'm missing a really good light, please let me know.

Thanks!