My Modded Antique Flashlight

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have this Ever-Ready made Antique flashlight body with no internal parts. The body is made of silver-plated copper and it has a sliding switch. I have absolutely no idea when this light was made and what kind of batteries or bulbs it originally used. Interestingly, it has a crystal optic which works like the NX05 and it delivers a very tight beam if the bulb is adjusted right. However, I would prefer a tight spot with some useful side spill with that. I did a very simple mode using a cheap Luxeon III cone and a brass coin as heat sink. The luxeon is direct driven by 3 NiMh ( 3.6V ) AAA. Here is some pictures:

PICT0018.jpg

This is the flashlight body - not a hip flask. Note the big eye crystal.

PICT0019.jpg

Another angle of the body

PICT0025.jpg

The crystal optic removed

PICT0027.jpg

Inside revealed

PICT0026.jpg

Beamshot - notice the brown corona ring like the new KL1?

I would really like to know about when they made this light and how they worked originally. Anybody knows something about this?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Wooo...Aw! Where on earth did you pick one up like this!? Ap liu st.? That's an interesting one for sure!

As soon as I can find time, I'd love to go and find out whether there is some cool pre-historic flashlight laying around... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
I got this one from Yahoo Auction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love these vintage flashlights and I think your updating one with some modern innards is very cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thing is gorgeous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
Put me down as #1 on your "limited" run order list.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Kiu,

It is a part of the original flashlight. I was told by the seller this flashlight was used in the 1900s which of course I cannot verify in any way.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif... nice vintage flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just killing time and did an ebay search for 'antique flashlight' and found this
1915 Modder Fodder
Big lens on the front and prob. brass. It says that part of it was soldered shut (by the lens), so modding it woulden't 'destroy' the antique value (already been done). No bidders yet, and it ends WED. night.

BTW, I would be interested if anyone gets this to mod.

Jeff

Just checked my pay-pal balance...... If ANYONE is interested PM me (and I will leave it alone), else I may put a min bid in at the last min.

Then I found these
Vintage pocket flashlight (nice)
Vintage lantern / flashlight
WW I flashlight

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I won the 1915 Franco. I will start a new post when things get rolling. Due to funding constraints, I may only be doung a LUX I mod on this. I have a simple boost board that will drive at 375mA from a 3v source. We'll see how things go.
Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW, i totally hijacked your thread, sorry. Nice mod by the way. Mabyee this will get some others started bridging the gap between early 20th century and early 21 century flashlight technology.

Jeff

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW -

I like your modded vintage light for many reasons. The material, the shape, that crystal optic, the modification, THE BEAM SHOT. Man, this is so cool. Killer job.

WildRice -

Gorgeous piece of flashlight history you have there. These old optics are interesting.

Latest posts