Don't throw that against the wall!

mrandychen

Newly Enlightened
Don\'t throw that against the wall!

Has anyone thrown their flashlight against a wall or dropped it on a hard surface? I want to test out my Luxeon LED's, but I'm too scared to see what it can take before breaking. Please post your "success" stories.

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Don\'t throw that against the wall!

i took 3 of my modded mags through a cave for a week straight, and beat the liveing hell out of them, they all survived,,
they are all scratched up, lol, but still ticking.

You arent going to hurt the led itself, its not gonna care much about shock, unless you hit it somehow, or the reflector/optic pushes down and crushes it.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been uber-rough on some of my lights. I enjoy having throwing contests between my Dorcy AAA and my friend's Mag Solitares. I say whoever's light dies first buys the other one a new light of their choosing. I've never lost, although my Dorcy is pretty smacked up it keeps coming back for more. Even after a battery explosion, it still keeps on ticking. .

bhds

Enlightened

I have been using an Arc ls modded with a fraen lense and TWAK emitter at work for a year now. Have dropped it on hard concrete floors 5 times(yes I do keep count)Lowest was about 4' highest 6-7'. It still works fine. The last time I dropped it the lense was knocked out of alignment so my hotspot is a little irregular shaped. Other than that you would never know it has been dropped.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hahah! ACMarina: the battery exploded!! That's just funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shifty646

Newly Enlightened

I dropped my SL Strion bezel down from the top of the stairs and it fell all the way down, bounced 4 times the highest bounce being around 5 feet.
Not a scratch, and the bulb survived. I was pretty impressed.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i haven't really messed up any luxeon lights yet. i've dropped my UK eLED alot of times on rocky trails and such a buncha times, but pretty much from 4-5', and it hasn't suffered more than rubbed-looking abrasions.

mrandychen

Newly Enlightened

As I was looking at this post my roomate comes in and reads it . Then he said "well, there's only one way to find out." He ran for my Longbow Micra and chucked it against the cement wall. F(*(@#$ He obviously didn't know how much it cost, figuring it was probably some 5 dollar light. It works fine though!! Saweet. However, I did punch him in the gut.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dropped my recently modded Mag 2D (LuxIII, O-Sink + VIP) about 4 feet onto the concrete floor in my garage. It suffered only a couple of nicks on the bezel.

Paul

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened

Dropped my Kl3 about 6 feet onto concrete, got a nice dented bezel but no other damage. 2 of my Arc LSs have been dropped onto concrete with no major damage, just some dents in the aluminum.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dropped my Inova X03 in our attic a month or two ago. It fell about 3' onto a wood floor and it hasn't worked since. I've been a lot more abusive to some of my other lights without problems, but it seems like the Inova isn't as heavy-duty as it would appear from an outward glance (I tried replacing the batteries and tailswitch and still no go).

-Keith

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's a post somewhere about an Arc AAA that survived the fall from a 1200m cliff. It was pretty beaten up, but it still worked (after a new battery was inserted I believe).

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

Yes, I drop mine all the time. I am a klutz! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've invested in some new-fangled thing called a "lanyard", which keeps the light strapped to my wrist so I can't drop it. This has reduced, but not eliminated, the number of times my lights hit the ground. (They still hit the ground when I fall over face first.)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

My LongBow Micra is building Character day by day. Although I dont drop it everyday, I know that it can take more beatings than the average flashlight. Sorry to go off topic, Mr BenchMark, I think you are expecting a review from a while back right? Well, I dont have the USB connector for the camera right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif but I am going to try the best I can with a webcam I borrowed for a while from a friend. So please wait a little longer.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

last year my roommate and me got in a fight and he took my mag 6d and went out side and beat it against the concrete side walk so much that it bent the screw-off bezel ring enough to the point that it won't twist off anymore without a visegrip well when i got back to the dorm after class and saw what he did to it i was really pissed but i didnt act like was pissed at all- til about 2 in the morning when i turned it on right in his eyes until he woke up and then kicked his a$$ he moved out the next day

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

One of the tests I perform for my website is one where I whack the flashlight against the corner of a concrete stair; five times against the side of the tailcap and five times against the side of the bezel.

In most cases, the damage to the flashlight is cosmetic only; in some cases the flashlight malfunctions and in other cases no damage occurs whatsoever.

MichiganMan

Enlightened

Being the office advocate for LED's, aka "You paid what for that???" I've performed the drop test on a few of my new toys, each time playing up how LED's are so "drop-proof" in comparison to incans. Twice I've had to eat my words. The first was an Eternalight Ergo. "Watch" I said, "how a drop from chest high doesn't even phase the light..." Two seconds later my audience correctly points out that my fancy-schmancy $30 flashlight is no longer lit. And it still doesn't seem to be working as I nervously mash the buttons... Needless to say "Chagrined" would be putting it mildly in describing my retreat to my office where I discovered that the batteries had merely come loose from their connections. BTW, people aren't nearly as impressed with the drop test the second time, especially when they see you nervously wincing as you drop it with much reduced enthusiasm from waist high.

The second occasion involved my formerly unbeatable Lightwave 4000 for the first and only time in its history slightly dislodging its head from the threads in front of (sigh) the same audience as the Eternalight debacle. BTW #2, retired police officers that never had a complaint about their six cell mag-lights think its really really funny to see you appearing to break your new fangled $40 flashlight in the process of demonstrating how great it is.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
Sorry to go off topic, Mr BenchMark, I think you are expecting a review from a while back right? Well, I dont have the USB connector for the camera right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif but I am going to try the best I can with a webcam I borrowed for a while from a friend. So please wait a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries! I got distracted by something shiny and forgot until you said something.

Hmmm.... I guess that comment I made about dropping my lights all the time is going to come back and haunt me if I ever list anyting on B/S/T... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

code09

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
chimo said:
I dropped my recently modded Mag 2D (LuxIII, O-Sink + VIP) about 4 feet onto the concrete floor in my garage. It suffered only a couple of nicks on the bezel.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaa, thats halarious...what a roomy
BAck on topic, i still have yet to drop my lights...i cant afford to buy new ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I dropped the Nuwai Q3, nothing new happened.

code09

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
One of the tests I perform for my website is one where I whack the flashlight against the corner of a concrete stair; five times against the side of the tailcap and five times against the side of the bezel.

In most cases, the damage to the flashlight is cosmetic only; in some cases the flashlight malfunctions and in other cases no damage occurs whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahaha interesting, more stories!!!