coast v2

ming420

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a coast lenser v2 tek torch and want to give it an awesome review. It is going to be a great EDC. LED with good throw and good spill- the thing lights up the room!

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I'm looking (Fry's Electronics) take 3 AAA cells with an output of 1.25W. It's very elegant.

chiphead

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I've been looking at the Coast lights for along time. The only real negative I've read is that the small on/off button can be cumbersome - but I know many folks who swear by them. If I can find one that uses AA rechargables and lithiums, I'd be interested. I've had one N cell light and never again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Since the ones I've seen use three cells of some short, I'm wondering if they are regulated or direct drive. I haven't seen a review on them by any of our folks. Any review?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
A view points about LedLensers:

Positive:
- very good looking
- usually well machined and sturdy
- reasonable bright
- the newer ones have gold plated contacts everywhere (the bigger torches)

negative:
- not watertight (except the Frogman Divelight)
- Not regulated except for those with step-up converters on 1xAA and 1xAAA and 1x123
- no lens
- rubber switches are not optimal
- only one brightness level

V2-Series:
ll_v2_series.jpg

ll_v2_series_bezels.jpg

V²-Series:
ll_vquadrat_579.jpg

ll_vx2_lithium_disassambled.jpg

If you want more pics of other Lensers ... just tell me, I have almost all of them.

bernhard

OddOne

Enlightened
I have a V2 lithium (2x123) 3-watter here that I did a review on. I subsequently did some modding to it to replace a few of the things they need to become high-end, and now it's my EDC. (I replaced the turned-down Fraen optic with a 17mm reflector, added a sapphire bezel, and installed a Downboy 1000mA rev. 3 regulator to replace the direct-drive setup it had. It sucks 123s down so dead they won't even make a filament glow on an incandescent light, and the throw is monster for the light's physical size.)

Unfortunately this particular unit is still in the preproduction phase and isn't widely available yet. (And with the mods mine's unique, hehehe...) But, once it is, it'll be a great mod platform. VERY moddable light, with tons of potential for a middle-grade EDC that you won't balk at the pricetag for.

Kiessling's pros and cons were the same I came up with - the V2s are great lights but are not waterproof, not regulated, and not protected against debris intrusion into the optic's center hole.

My review of the V2 2x123 3-watt is here, and my mod article is here.

oO

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the v2 6 chip, great for reading. Nice bluish white beam, not much for distance, but great up close for reading.

eniwetok

Newly Enlightened
Also deceptive is Coast's claim on the packaging that the HD7736CP has "O-ring seals for water-tight integrity". I can find only ONE seal on my light... near the tailcap opening. There was NO seal for the other opening near the LED assembly. I do NOT consider this light to be anything more than water resistant.

kts

Enlightened
Why do you reply to a 4 year old thread?:thinking:

eniwetok

Newly Enlightened
Why do you reply to a 4 year old thread?:thinking:

Oops... with my first edited post up for mod review and not yet on the board, I did a search for the Coast light to find what I thought was the thread and posted there. Obviously it was wrong thread. Thanks for making me aware of it.

Latest posts