Shortwave/AM DXers?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any shortwave,AM or scanner DXers here?

chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what is it?i have a shortwave radio.i liten to is that what ya mean?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bet, I wondering if anyone was into this stuff besides me. Right I'm I using a GRUNDIG Satillite 800 box, it's pretty sweet. But with every issue of my radio mags I read where one or more shortwave station are going off the air in this digital age.

chiphead

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there neat to listen to.i have the one county com sellls and a coby i got from biglots.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice radio, chiphead. I kind of dabble with shortwave and AM dxing. Radios were probably my first love, even before flashlights, cameras, and watches. Right now my "good" radio is a old Radio Shack DX-398. Backup is a really old Sony ICF-7600D given to me by my uncle. I would love to somehow convince myself I need a Grundig like yours. Another one that looks interesting is the Kaito(or Degen) KA-1102 being sold at Advancedmart. It's received some good reviews. Didn't know some stations are dropping off. I'd hate to see broadcast radio disappear.

Geoff

Empath

Flashaholic
In my younger days I used to DX the AM graveyard stations. I spent many a Monday half asleep from logging stations Sunday nights as the interfering ones would sign off and sign on for weekly maintenance. I did it from Oklahoma, so I had to wait for the east coast ones to sign on early Monday mornings. I wish I still had my logs and QSL cards, but I'd logged every state in the U.S., and had the QSL to show for it. Little 250 watt stations were very friendly and appreciative to DXers back then. It's amazing how far some of the 250 watt graveyard stations could be heard when the closer ones would shut down and conditions got right.

It's a hobby that never really got picked back up after moving to Oregon. It's too bad, since the east and west coasts are ideally geographically located for Sunday night identification.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, SW question here.
A few years ago, I was given a OLD Grundig SW, FM, AM and others radio. Its a tube radio actually. Old like crazy and has to warm up to work. Whats the best, cheepest way to make a SW antenna? I once used to coaxial cable and heard some incredible stuff from the other side of the world. Is there anything better to use? I wish I knew more about the stereo. Its pretty cool, if you would like some pictures, tell me and I will see if I can get them up. I frequently heard some weird military sounding stuff, or UFO sounds. It was quite interesting. Oh, I also recall hearing the atomic clock being audible-ized. That was pretty interesting stuff.
Thanks,

Cameron

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Try clipping different lengths of wire to your radio's antenna. I think the little wind-up wire antennas are about 20 feet long. I use old power cords from appliances. The length is important for picking up certain frequencies, but I don't know the formula. That wire might also improve your FM, too.

Geoff

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all a matter of economics:
1. It cost $$$$$.$$ to run a 100Kw Shortwave station
2. It cost $$$.$$ to run satillite node/w digital streaming
3. It cost $$.$$ for digital stream from a website

what can I tell you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're so right, I learned since I was a kid that the best time for DXing AM was early in the morning. This goes double for shortwave during the fall and winter months. This is how I stumbled across N.Korean radio. But I can't get the Middle East to save my life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've designs for some models stored on my harddrive in a PDF format. How can I get it to you?

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing, consult with the following mags:
Monitoring Times
Popular Communications

chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was 13 years old in 1955, My father bought me a used Hallicrafters general coverage receiver. I've been a DXer (read obsessive tuning distant signals addict) ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif