Reversable dissassembly - AA and AAA Maglite

rwolff

Enlightened
I'm looking at using a Mag Solitaire as a host for an LED mod, although this issue should also apply to the Mini Maglite, since both use a "push down the bulb holder to turn off" switch.

How do I go about removing the switch assembly without breaking anything? Presumably it's 2 parts pressed together (one from the outside, one from inside the tube). Since I want this to be reversable, I don't want to damage the existing switch/socket assembly.

Also, my hypothesis of the switch is that when the head is screwed down fully, the bulb assmbly is pushed toward the tailcap, pulling a contact away from a non-anodized area on the inside of the "lip" at the front. Is this correct? If so, it would be a great way of using the same switch mechanism for the "pill".

Also, I've seen an interesting circuit here that looks like it would be suitable for the mod I want to do (regulated LED light from 1xAAA - the Dorcy overdrives its LED, so I don't want to "borrow" its circuit). Is this a good one to use, or can anyone suggest a better driver circuit?

Thanks for this info.

greenLED

Flashaholic
in the minimag, carefully pry the top part that says "do not remove". Do it slowly and little by little, going around the piece or you'll break the two tiny plastic legs (you'll see). In case you do break them, it's easily repairable with some crazy glue.

Same thing applies for the Soli but you have to use a finer-tipped screwdriver to pry the top part away.

You're right about how the switch works. You'll see the NEG contact towards the outside of the contact assembly.

Can't help you with the electronix question, except to ask: have you tried a sammie from dat2zip's shoppe?

Latest posts