Which to get first? Inova X5-T or KL1?

FNG

Enlightened
Ive been wanting an X5 ever since I joined (Jan 02). Ive been wanting it more since the X5-T came out. I really like the gun metal color with white LED's. Its a peice of art. On the other hand, the KL1 will be my first LS LED and I already have a Scorpion. Ive seen the pic of the Scorpion with KL1 is it looks really ugly. Maybe itll grow on me but who knows. The CPF motto is to get both and I will, just not at the same time. Which one would you choose and why?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I did.
1. Buy Scorpion
2. Bought X5-T
3. Sell Scorpion
4. Used the money from Scorpion sale to buy E2e
5. Bought a KL1 that still hasnt arrived yet.

Sorry couldn't give you an answer, I have enough trouble deciding flashlight choices on my own.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
1.) Buy the KL1, as you've said you already have the Scorpion, at least you'll have dual capability.

2.) Take your time and look for a good deal on the X5 or X5T. Maybe a good used one will pop up? Maybe someone will run a great sale on them?

3.) Then you are going to want to get a matching Surefire battery housing for your "ugly Scorpion/KL1 combo". Save your pennies for that and then sell the Scorpion to offset that purchase.

dwminer

Enlightened
Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a KL1 and an E2e. Then save up for a 10X until something better comes along. Take it from years of experience; there is no end in sight.
Dave

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
road_kill recently posted over in Buy/Sell/Trade that he is selling X5t's for $42 shipped.

Here's a link to the thread

FNG

Enlightened
I know about the $42 shipped deal. He's been having it since May or June. I really like the aesthetics of the Scorpion so im keeping it no matter what. I once figured the cost of the E2e HA and it came to a little bit over $100 shipped. That was including another bulb and something else I cant remember right now. Maybe a carrying case?

OT:
Ive been through 5 sets of batteries on my Scorpion and its still running on the same bulb. It was intermittent use too. Ive been kicking myself for not getting the Streamlight pouch that Brightguy has for $7.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Streamlight Scorpion pouch and the extraction action isnt exactly smooth. The rubber body is to blame, makes too much friction. It is usually a 2 handed deal for me. That was the 1st reason I sold it, the second one was the rubber sleeve kept sliding, making pushing more difficult because the switch was now deeper.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must've missed something ... the surefire KL1 works on a Streamlight Scorpion? Wonders never cease!

Me personally, I feel regulated LS easily wins out over unregulated Nichias. If you already have a platform for the KL1 (are we sure it works with the Scorpion
smile.gif
), I'd go with that.

Joe

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:

Me personally, I feel regulated LS easily wins out over unregulated Nichias. If you already have a platform for the KL1 (are we sure it works with the Scorpion
smile.gif
), I'd go with that.

Joe
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here you go, It may not be a KL1 but it shows the threads match up
smile.gif

5211321.BezleChange.jpg

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
kl1-2.jpg

Works fine!

I worked my Scorpion over with some 220 grit sandpaper and took the sharp edges off the rubber molding. Made it a LOT smoother handling.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Ugly yes! But can you come up with a cheaper way to run a KL1 on two batteries?

FNG

Enlightened
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
Man. That Scorpion looks uglier now than it does stock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I really like the look of the stock Scorpion. Much better than Surefire.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
The Trekkie in me makes me think of the Borg when I see that Scorpion: the unholy union of rubber and metal ...

llvo

Enlightened
the look isn't that bad...maybe it's easiler to carry than the original scorpion
confused.gif

With the clickie switch, it will be a better platform
rolleyes.gif

FNG

Enlightened
Hey RY! I have the 2L also. Ive always wanted to get the X5-T and E2e. Great minds think alike.