ya faverite food thats hard to find?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love greek gyros.there like the best thing in the world.but i dont see them any more.i drolll when i think of em

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Yea, I like them too. I am originally from your area (Columbus, Ga) and there are not too many places that have them down there. Since I got transplanted to Yankee-land, Gyro's are pretty easy to find but I had to give up way too much.
You have things I REALLY miss. Things like:
Chester Popcorn
Krystal
Hardee's
Chic-fil-a
Churches Chicken
Western Sizzler
Logans
Morrisons
Mike and Ed's Bar-b-que
Sonny's Bar-b-que
Shoneys
Nehi
RC Cola
BB Bats
Toms Peanuts
Lances Crackers
Sunbeam Bread
Yea, I miss dixie...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One of my favorite holiday snacks is angels' wings, but it's hard to find the really good ones, the kind that are made in Slovenian bakeries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
crazy local grocery store has chicken feet but no deli or seafood market.so odd the diff types a food there are in didferent areas.who in the world would eat chciken feet lol..

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Canada we used to have Kit Kat, Aero and Smarties
candy bars made by Rowntree (sp?). Then Nestle bought
them out. They still make products with the same name
but cheapened the chocolate. Now it is more sugary
and feels grainy in the mouth, not smooth like it used
to.

Greg

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Gyro? You mean the stuff we can get all over here in NYC? I live JUST (well 1/4 mile or so) outside the 2nd largest Greek community in NYC (The largest is Astoria), so I have my pick of where to go for Gyro. Most will say that Fontina Gyro (Francis Lewis Blvd and Northern for you Queens NYC folks) is the best outside Astoria - YUM

One of the "Odd" things in my life - except for the 1 year I lived way out on Long Island - I have always had a Greek next door neighbor. I like lamb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was working on Long Island several years ago and I ran across some wonderful all-night Greek diners. The menu was like a phone book and you could get anything at any time of the day or night and it was good. I think one of them was near MacArthur airport (Vets Highway?). I miss those.

AbnerCadaver

Banned
About 15 yrs ago, I lived in Long Island, Mineola to be more specific, and they had this Greek Diner called "Dorian Diner" with pictures of Telly Savalas (Kojak) plastered all over their walls visiting the establishment, and they had "awesome" greek cuisine to choose from including, but not limited to Gyros, pronounced "Hee-rows" to the not so enlightened, and they were to die for..... Now you guys had to go and conjure up memmories of "mouth watering goodness". Boy how I miss 'em. Since moving to the midwest, I have had a long time hankering for one of those "suckers."

Abbie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
newyork seems to be a cool place for food and stuff.i watch 40 bucks a day with rachel ray where she goes to difent city and trys there food on a budget and its cool to see alll the good food

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I like Schweppes Golden Ginger Ale.
Only thing is, I haven't been able to find it.
It seems in Canada, only the eastern provinces get it.

Duncan

Newly Enlightened
Hm, this is an easy response for me. I think everything I can't get while I'm away at university is my favourite food while I'm here... Anything not cooked by Sodexho (read: cafeteria food) tastes like Gold Nuggets. I am fortunate enough to be blessed with a 24-7 Tim Horton's though, so I can't complain in the Timbit/Doughnouts/Coffee department. The food I miss the most is Vietnamese, Alberta Steak, and Singaporean (Ice Kachangs and Saute) food. Donairs are good too, but they have to be made really well, most places do a terrible job with them.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A few soft drinks that are difficult to find:
> "Dublin" Dr Pepper
> Good cane-sugar orange cream soda

In Austin on 6th street, there's a Gyro stand that sells great gyros, but perhaps they seemed so great at the time because I was just a bit 'faced at the time...

Eric_M

Enlightened
Long John Silvers
Red cream soda

We've got a great gyro place here, Little John's.

Sakugenken

Newly Enlightened
I definitely miss gyros. Also Italian "casual". I would give blood for a meatball hero.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Craig: Egg nog outside of December. I once froze a carton and thawed it out in July. That was the best day of my life!

Also Vernors soda. Used to get it in Michigan, but rarely see it in NC.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Del Taco, RC Cola, and Moonpies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts