Anybody else have weird sleeping habits?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not sleep apnea or other disease related? When I get home from work, typically five to sixish, I am so tired that I want to retire for the night right on the spot. Sometimes I take a nap although usually try not to. Then I come too as the night progresses and rarely go to bed before eleven. Also there are many times I will sleep solid for a few hours then wake up and stay awake for a couple of hours or sometimes for the remainder of the night. I tend to average five or six hours a night during the week and like nine or ten on the weekends if left alone. That's probably not healthy. I slept best when I worked second shift, wish I could do it again.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work nights, sleep days. So I'm going to bed about 8-9AM, and waking up at 3 or 4PM...

I've always been a "night" person, anyways...

-dan

Brock

Flashaholic
I have a bad work schedule, some days it's 6a, like today and most days it is until about midnight, like last night, and everything in between. Some weeks it's 80 hours and some 20, so it really thows everything off. Then start having kids (2 so far with a thrid on teh way) on top of that and all bets are off.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy, I am the same way. I get home from work around 4:30PM and I feel pretty tired. But around 8PM I seem to get a second wind, and don't feel sleepy until 12 or after.

As for naps, go ahead. Studies have shown that you can sleep less by taking naps during the day. Also your attention level goes up with naps. Just call them power naps, or power sleeping.

When I was working, going to school, and studing martial arts, I used to take an hour nap after work. With thee nap I could stay up until mdinight and still get up at 6AM and feel awake and alert.

But the best thing is to get a habit and stay with it. So if you nap, set a alarm. Changing your sleep habits is not efficiant, and can leed to insomnia.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is completley messed up--my wife works days, I work 12 hour nights. When I get 3-4 days in a row off, I switch completley over to a day schedule so I can spend time with her.

Right now I'm in the middle of 4 days off, so tonight I'll be staying up past 2 am and tomorrow till about 4-5 am. That way it won't be that big of a shock when I get back into the 7p-7a shift.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
flownosaj, my dad used to work a rotating shift, nights, days, evenings, nights, days, evenings, and on and on.

It used to cause him other problems beyond just sleep. Sleep is very important for mental stability. I know that after I saw what he went through, I will never work a rotating shift for very long.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i sleep hanging from my feet well to nighfall

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

If I were allowed I'd go to bed at 2-3am, and wouldn't start my day before 10 am. My brain doesn't seem to be fully awake 'till noon or so anyway. Most productive time in the day for me is around 4-7pm. Trouble is, I keep getting stuck with jobs that require me to start early, and 5-7 seems to conflict with everyone's "ideal" dinner time.

My bro can sleep for hoooooours. I think the longest he ever slept were 28 hours straight. I've only done 18 on one go.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I thought you meant WEIRD.

I've done things while asleep that make ordinary sleepwalking seem normal. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often, but I become very dangerous to be around in rare circumstances.

Part of it is due to living out dangerous real-life situations in my dreams and trying to respond to them.

MikeF

Enlightened
I work 3:00am until noon. One morning I fell asleep standing up in the elevator. It is a small elevator, and I leaned back in the corner, forgetting to push the button for the floor I wanted, so the doors closed but it just sat there. When the reporter I was working with that morning came in, she hit the door for the elevator, and when the doors opened I was standing there, and it surprised so much she let out a litle scream! I don't know who was more startled, but I definately didn't need any coffee after that.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Well.... sometimes I try to fall asleep around 10:30, but those darn bright flashlights keep me awake!!! For some reason, my hands gravitate towards the flashlights in the middle of the night, and all of a sudden, bam! There is a massive spot in the middle of my vision! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BTW: I'm just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's not my fault...

But based upon where I'm sleeping lately, I do two strange (or odd) things.

I sleep caticorner across the bed.

And for the last three nights I've had a LOT of really weird dreams.

And no matter where I sleep, I can't focus, have poor motor skills and just generally can't function until having a mug of coffee!!1

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to bed any time from 1AM to 7AM... get up @ 10AM no matter what... weekends i go to bed around the same time and sleep in until noon.
i don't think i ever sleep for the same amount of time twice in one week. needless to say, my internal clock is about as screwed up as it can get.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate having a full size bed. My head either hits the headboard, or my feet hang off the edge and freeze.

Anyways, my schedule changes all the time due to school and work. So I usualy come home ~1-2am, shower and get in bed with a snack. I always eat before going to bed. I guess it's a habbit. I can't sleep hungry, and even if I just ate a meal 20mins ago, I have to eat some cookies/cinamon roll,etc and a TALL glass of 1% milk. If I don't eat and force my self asleep (hard) I'll have very weird dreams and wake up at night. That's opposite of other people I've heard.

I have a high metabolism though... Now that I lift weights too, I eat a ton. But when my body doesn't need it for some reason, my appetite will go down. I always listen to my body a lot and I guess that's good.

ANYWAYS, I'll get my snack, eat it, and be so cold (damn missouri winters, I want to move!) that I just stay under the covers and figure I'll get up and brush my teeth in a minute. Well I pass out from exhaustion and wake up several hours later slouched down with my neck hurting from the pillows I had stacked up. I'll get up, brush my teeth and go back to bed only to be woke up by my alarm a few hours later.

Only I'll sleep through my alarm. It is right by my head, blaring loud, and I'll sleep a good hour through it before I realize what is going on!! I have hard time going to sleep, and waking up! No matter what schedule I try to get on! It always seems to be 2am, to 10am!! I've gone to bed for 5 months at 10pm, woke up at 5-6am and been tired all day. But the first day I went back to 2am-10am I woke up a lot easier..

But now I just can't get good sleep. Doesn't help all the stress I'm living with either. I think that has a lot to do with it.

I also do best on 6-7 hours sleep. I can do 4 for about a month before it affects me. 7-8 hours and I want to sleep all day, I just stay too groggy.

BTW, I'm 23. I'm more active than ever now but sleep is still the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Can't wait to move out and get rid of this mental stress and constant screaming/tormenting I life with. I'm rambling...

Solomon

Newly Enlightened
Sure, I've got a weird sleeping habit!

I usually get to sleep at around 1 - 2am. And I always get up to go and take a **** about 2 or 3 times in the wee hours of the morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

My parents think that's W-E-I-R-D!!!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Since I work from home and don't need to keep to any kind of a schedule I have what can best be described as unusual sleeping habits. I simply sleep for a few hours whenever I'm tired, regardless of the time of day. I'm more likely to be asleep during morning hours since I've never been a morning person but other than that when I'm asleep or not is unpredictable. Also, I take mostly short catnaps rather than a long 6 or 7 hour sleep because it's easier to get the body going when it's only been idle for a few hours.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I am up pretty much everyday around 6:30 am. The latest is 8am and that is on the weekend. My family are all morning people and pretty much go to sleep early. My wife is a late sleeper. She is the only one hat can sleep till noon. by then, I have most of the honey do list done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ps, I average no more than 7 hours of sleep a night

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Solomon said:
Sure, I've got a weird sleeping habit!

I usually get to sleep at around 1 - 2am. And I always get up to go and take a **** about 2 or 3 times in the wee hours of the morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

My parents think that's W-E-I-R-D!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At lest you wake up! I am not allways that lucky, quite embarsing, I am 29 years old and still need diapers at night. You should hear some of the jokes My friends come up with, lucky for them I have a scence of humor.
I guess that would be my odd sleep habit.
during the week I typicaly get 4-6 hours of sleep and on weekends it can be from 8 to maby even 13 hours. I usaly feel like crap most of the day if I get too much sleep, i have read that too much sleep can be just as unheathly.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Anybody else have wierd sleeping habits?

When I ran a dial-up BBS in the 1990s, I'd typically stay up until 3:00am or 4:00am tending to the silly thing. In the early-1990s, I also tended bar as well as running my BBS. On nights were I worked the swing shift (7:00pm until 2:15am), I'd tinker with my BBS after I got home and before I went to work - typically sleeping from 3:00am until 10:00am.

Now that I don't run a BBS anymore, my sleeping habits are much closer to normal - from ~11:00pm until 8:00am.
Once in awhile, I'll get up at 4:00am or 5:00am to use the john, but that isn't every night.

Latest posts