DXCC

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
The Hams on the group will understand this one. Went up to Newington today to visit the ARRL HQ. While there, got my DXCC confirmed, got my WAC, and operated W1AW for a while - feels strange to be on the OTHER side of the pileup - to have folks calling YOU. One guy was calling CQ, and was really shocked when I came back with "W1AW" (For the non hams out there - the ARRL station's call is W1AW, and is one of the most famious call signs in the world)

A nice - if slightly cold day

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
One hundred countries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I never got into DX- just farted around on 2M and HF a little. Haven't been radioactive for quite a while. My brother gave me a Yaesu FT-8900R for X-mas, and I haven't decided whether to get back into it again.

Larry (WJ6I)

dim

Enlightened
I'm not a paper chaser and I don't collect QSL cards. For the most part, I know who, what and where I've worked. In the fifteen or so years I've had a ticket and the few years prior to that (cough), I've worked all states, dxcc, and perhaps a few other award worthy "accomplishments". All with 100 watts or less on 20-10 meters ssb as restrictions prevent me from installing a "real" antenna, and have worked many countries, perhaps two dozen or more, and most states, portable, with 5 watts from my Yaesu FT-817 into a Super Antenna MP-1.

Pile-ups? Sure. Usually I'm on the outside looking in. And, admittedly, it's rough with just 5 watts and a dummy load (really, the MP-1 is a great antenna for its size), but through the years, for reasons unknown to me, I've been at the receiving end of pile-ups too. Just conditions I suppose. What can you do? Just contact them one by one and wish'em 73.

Congrats on your awards and working at W1AW. What?s the shack like? I'm thinking an IC-735 and a wire (HI).

dim

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
My DXCC was in about 9 months including getting them confirmed (The hard part believe it or not) all at 100 watts, on a 51 ft long wire antenna at 36 ft

What's W1AW like - I won't comment on the stuff for the code practice and bulletins - let's just say racks of Harris radios and amps, all feeding a towers worth of fixed monobanders

As for the guest station - there are 6 studios
Studio 1 is a Yeasu Ft1000 Mk5 with amp and a Tentec of some sort

Studio two is a slightly older Icom, and some other rig

The rest I did not look at

All can be patched to either verticals, wires, or Monoband beams - I was working with a 20m beam up 120 ft

lymph

Enlightened
Nice.

I haven't been much of a DXer, especially since my rig only put about 60 watts out into an inverted-vee (no antenna tuner, either, so just one band). But I did spend a lot of time poking around the bottom of 40m and did get Antacrtica and Senegal (among other, more usual DX contacts).

I need to get a radio. I miss it.

73 de AC6XA

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
BTW - the joke? Not even CLOSE to having worked all states. I think I have something like 25 confirmed, and 37 worked

So I have DXCC (Phone and Mixed) Worked all Continents (with Antartica) but NOT WAS

Latest posts