Lanyards--How safe?

sniper

Enlightened
One of my most remembered high school conversations was with a little guy who rode motorcycles. We were debating the virtues of a bicycle chain versus an 18 inch piece of 1 1/4" dowel in social engagements. He told me "Never have anything tied to you." I have always remembered that. It seemed good advice.

What is the breaking strength of the lanyards used for lights, etc? The manufactured ones look plenty sturdy, and the ones survivalists make for their equipment appear "bull strong".

One commercial kit I saw proclaimed that something would give at 45 pounds.

Now, I think a 45 lbs breaking point is enough to fracture a wrist or a neck, if the pull is abrupt, and it is surely enough to abrade skin deeply, possibly to the point of needing stitches, even if it gives way as planned.

In my job, the specter of what a 150 pound Jr. High School student with a mad on at the world can do to a teacher who wears the popular I.D./key/whistle lanyards around their neck is a real concern. All of my commercial lanyards have a breakaway,and I DO NOT wear anything around my neck anymore. If I do get a Gerber Infinity Ultra, I may wear it around my neck, but on a weak bead chain.

Am I the only one to be concerned about the possibility? What do you think?

What is a PseudoNiMH?
A NiMH that's not your real NiMH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Until next time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i only use stainless ball-chain lanyards, which i can break with confidence.

while i don't agree that 45 pounds of pull will break/fracture/gash a physically fit individual's bones/skin, i'd say that's a pretty safe cut off for ppl running an obvious risk of catching themselves. i believe the more serious risks come from the situation caused by the lanyard catching, and not by the actual act of the lanyard catching. IE - orienteering in thick vegetation and you catch your neck lanyard and get jerked back and hit your head on a rock... or you fall out of your raft and catch your neck lanyard on a submerged tree in the water and panic or find yourself improperly equipped to handle the situation.

cdf

Enlightened
I wear a gate clip lanyard under my shirt , and only pullit out and attach it when I need it , Ie: working on a ladder or manlift , or in an area where I might drop something on the general public .

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use a ball chain with break away link. For comfort I have it sheathed with paracord and its around my neck most of the time.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This has been discussed before and I think it is very important for people to consider their environment and any potential hazards. Break aways or "fuses" are certainly something to consider if your environment or activity could find you getting hung up or whatever. An auto mechanic or machinist wearing a necktie is a good example of a possible problem!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

By the same token, someone who is overly concerned about a lanyard and what it might do if caught in a bad situation should also consider the tear strength of the clothing they are wearing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option with paracord is to use some shrink tubing rather than a knot. I find it holds up fine for < 1lb, but it comes apart with less force than ball chain.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use some of the spring adjustors (I can't even come close to remembering the name of them right now), that are used to fasten the drawstrings of some backpacks, shorts, shoes etc. You can find them at places like REI, and give with just a few pounds of pressure.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Berkeley Point cord locks, when used with Spectra, will also give under fairly light loads especially if you pull only one line. I've yanked them out quite easily. Not sure how many pounds of force, but I don't think it's many, just pull. I put one cord lock very close to the end so that it's only around 1/4" away from coming apart - a sharp tug will probably 'break' it. The good thing is that it can be very easily reset in the field if you pull it by accident.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not that informed in the sector of flashlight knowledge... but the Surefire lanyard for the l1 will break apart if a strong enough force is exerted on it.

-tom

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
I use a lanyard for my pepperspray during service.
That lanyard (gearkeeper by hammerhead) has no breakaway part. Cuz of that I use the "clip" and "ring" of the new Surefire lanyards. I mounted it between pepperspray and lanyard. I tested one of them and it seems they brake away under a force of ca 5kg. The ring opens very smooth.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Another possible break-away to consider is a small O-ring. You can get metric O-rings with a 1 mm cross section and they can be looped through some lanyard holes and then through themselves (if that makes any sense). This provides a soft attach that won't abrade the HA as well as a good weak link. Of course the condition of the O-ring needs to be monitored so you don't have an unwanted failure. You can also probbly find some simple means of storing a spare or two n the rig itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cdf

Enlightened
In some tactical type situations a short loop thatgoes around two fingers and can be readily relinquished is a good idea , I neved close my neck lanyards with a knot , only a cord lock . Low end ones will give way very easily .

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
That O-ring is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I just ordered some 1/8" Kangaroo Lace for braiding into a lanyard and was considering whether to include a breakaway safety. An O-ring might be just the thing. Thanks, O smart one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt