-54F = -47.77777777777778 C

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Embarrass, Minnesota, hits 54 below

[ QUOTE ]
(AP) -- Temperatures plummeted across the eastern half of the nation Monday, approaching an all-time record in northern Minnesota and freezing the Gulf Coast as a river of Arctic air pushed southward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lithium batteries a must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
We only were in the -40's, about an hour from Embarrass.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd better stop whining about it being -30ºF lastnight! haha. stay warm, man.

i can't remember it ever getting colder than -45 to -50ºF around here. tho i've heard rumors of -55ºF... wow. your record over there is -60ºF!!! that's crazy. i wouldn't leave the house.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Growing up in northern Vermont, never saw it that cold, maybe -40. I assume you guys all have block heaters in the cars? I thought also that below -40 or so, "normal" gas would not vaporize correctly. I thought I had read that in parts of Alaska they use a special "winter" blend.

[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
Embarrass, Minnesota, hits 54 below

[ QUOTE ]
(AP) -- Temperatures plummeted across the eastern half of the nation Monday, approaching an all-time record in northern Minnesota and freezing the Gulf Coast as a river of Arctic air pushed southward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lithium batteries a must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
We only were in the -40's, about an hour from Embarrass.

[/ QUOTE ]

watt4

Enlightened
a frozen thermometer would be convincing!
coldbrrrrrrrrrrr3fb.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
Hey guys, they're talking about it being 81F today here in Phoenix,AZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! What's the deal with these crazy people. I mean, did the US just run out of land and that location was the only thing left? Just reading about those temps makes parts of me shiver.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, and I was freezing when the temp was only in the mid 40's (that's on the plus side BTW). Of course it's been warming up a bit again, it's been in the 70's for the past coule days, but very windy.

greenLED

Flashaholic
and I complain when it gets anywhere below 10ºC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
t'was 19ºC here yesterday, felt like late spring!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
Hey guys, they're talking about it being 81F today here in Phoenix,AZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Likewise, it's 84°F today-outside of L.A. in SoCal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*Retired*
I once had my truck break down in actual -40F temperatures on a Interstate in the middle of timbucktoo Montana, not a light in site, except the fancy electronic road sign not 50 yards from me, without gloves, I shortly couldn't move my fingers, in the 35 mph strong wind. I had to hook the now "frozen" stump of a hand under the door handle like a piece of wood to get back in. Needless to say, I drove to then next city, stuck in second gear, and worked on it in the morning.

I'd agree, thats a darn cold temperature, wow!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
listens to thread and decides not to go north cold here is 0f and thats seldem last few nights been 20 and i didnt like it

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
We first moved here in April 1994. We left Daffodils, and almost green grass in CT. We got here with 4 feet of snow in the woods and -20 F temps. Our host welcomed us with "Welcome to the land of white death". By next February -10F felt nice after an extended run of -30's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'd not like the +100's that some areas get, you handle the same way climate control.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the extreme cold either, however typically where people post about the extreme cold such as upper mid-west, New England, etc., they will have the most beautiful summers in the US. I've been to AZ in the heat and I'll take the freezing winters over that anytime. Also would not like a long summer of constant 90 degree humidity like the deep south. In most places in the US, you're going to have your three months of undersirable weather, you just have to pick your evil.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now I'll complain (whine) about snow.
3 days Wed, Thur, Fri 3 bouts of Lake Effect Snow 4-6 inches each:)
I was in Duluth today, about an hour SW of here they had 'total on the ground' about 18" maybe. We have about 36" totg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif and more to come. good for business long term but each day wears on you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif