• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired how to take apart an arc-lsh for modding?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i have an arc lsh-s that i want to mod with Fraen optics and a better binned Lux1 or maybe a Lux3, anyone know of a thread or tutorial or have any suggestions/comments on taking it apart? i know people have modded boards and such but how the hell do you get the thing apart without mangling it.

thanks,
Leon

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you succeed in removing the retaining ring inside the head, the board with the led will drop out. You then have to remove the plastic retaining ring holding the optic in place and just put it back together in the same order they came out. Removing the first ring is the most difficult. Nothing has worked for me so far apart from using brute force to loosen it. You will need snap ring pliers that will fit the holes and something to hold the light with while you're trying to turn it.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The muck used to hold the rings in the Arc is similar to that used in the Surefires. I mount the Arc in a vice with protected jaws and heat the outside of the light with a heat gun (not a hair dryer) to about 150-170 degrees, or actually when it's just too hot to touch. Then the much should break free and you can use snap ring pliers or needle nose to remove the ring.

You might want to try an IMS SO17XA reflector in there. Once you remove the legs, the optic retaining ring serves well to hold the reflector. It's literally a drop in mod. Very nice beam. I did this with a turned down McR20, but the IMS works nicely too.

If you have an older toaster oven, you could preheat it to 150 for about 10 minutes, then put the head of the light into the oven for 5 minutes or so and that should do it. Just be sure to preheat the oven before putting the head in it. Some ovens spike the temp to over 400 degrees while heating up and will cook the light and its guts. I found this out the hard way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

After getting it out of the oven, you may be able to get away with not using a vice and simply holding the head with a rag and using a pair of needle nose.

jtice

Flashaholic
I use a good hair dryer, heating it till I cant touch it, then it pops loose easy.

I also recommend the IMS17mm reflector, drops right in.

Make sure not to over tighten, the optic, or reflector ussually is pressing against the led, so dont smash it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McShawn

Enlightened
I had to get the dremel out to remove my retaining ring in the one Arc LS I moded. I tried other methods but it was just too stuck. Managed to use dremel and not dammage anything else. Hope you have better luck with other methods.
Shawn

cy

Flashaholic
how hard to remove retaining ring seems to be luck of the draw. some come right out with no fussing. some you gotta heat, some you just dremel out.

M_R

Enlightened
I used an instrument similar to a dentist pick to simply pick away at the locktight (guck) and the ring came free. This way you don't need to worry about melting your light. The material is almost weldlike and picking away at it will also remove some aluminium on both the body and the ring, however this does not affect the operation of the light.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
thanks a ton, will try and report. any suggestions on lux3 vs a lux1 replacement into it? and i had an LSHF-P...that i lost...must have fallen out of my cargo pocket probably :_(

i have a T1 now which is really good for throw...even better than the LSHF-P, but i need something small for closeup work. i dont think i'll be putting the Fraen LP optics in it, i hear the QIII is the king of EDC right now, but i like the size of the arc, i dunno what i should drop in for decent flood but not an ungodly lack of throw, stock optics might be just what the doctor ordered. or is a reflector better? lux3 or lux1? i presume i'll need to swap a 1206 SMT resistor or something for a lux3, no biggie if it's worth it.

also anyone know where i can get a TWOJ/TWOK or the-like bins? and why is it so difficult to find them?

thanks.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leon- You won't see much (if any) difference in a LuxIII over a LuxI, I'd go with whichever you can get a better bin in.

I would highly suggest using one of the IMS 17mm reflectors in the Arc instead of optics, the reflector gives a superior beam.

Also, if you are interested in having someone do the mod for you, I can do it. This would include A TWOJ LuxIII with boosted drive current, IMS reflector, UCL lens, and Kroll conductivity tune-up with Caig Pro-Gold. Send me a PM if interested.

Peter

Leeoniya

Enlightened
alright, that's all the convincing I need, LitFuse...i'll take you up on the offer of your pre-modded LSH-P w/reflector & lux3 mod.. it doesnt look like this one that my GF is getting me really exists. check your PM plz.