Looking for the World's Toughesst Small LED

Tetsubo

Newly Enlightened
Looking for the World\'s Toughesst Small LED

I'm searching for the toughest small sized LED flashlight that can be found. I want to add one to a survival kit. In addition I am hoping that my wife won't be able to damage it. She is rather good at killing flashlights.

My requirements are that it be key-chain sized, have a long shelf life and be metal. Battery type isn't an issue. I'd like to keep it around $40 or so in cost.

Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA

AlecGold

Enlightened
Re: Looking for the World\'s Toughesst Small LED

E1e with a KL1 is small and very, very tough.
but it's not $40, not even close.
its like 122 at oldgrandpa's
But the wife will have a hard time killing it. Perhaps punting it in the oven will do the trick, but dropping, walking trough water, rain, hot days didn't kill mine.
It's in my pants front pocket all the time, at the office in the sewer, inspecting the railroads, overwatching nighttime work etc. etc.
(but when I know I need light all night long, I use the U2.)

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a toughie.

you want: small (key-chain size), tough, LED, survival, under $40, metal.

well, i would suggest something that could take lithiums for cold-weather performance and shelf life. i think in this situation, AA bats are excellent, since in a pinch you could use whatever AA is available including ultra cheapies.

taking all that into account, i would suggest an infinity ultra or two. the government model has HA3.

it is small, tough as nails, long runtime, inexpensive, can place on keychain or around your neck on a lanyard. can be clipped to a ballcap for hands-free use.

Bob

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

For survival kit, PEAK's AAA single LED low power version should do a fine job. A simple photon-alike button cell light with a on/off switch can act as a backup.

flashlite

Enlightened

The Gerber Infinity Ultra. It's a little big for a keychain light for my tastes but it may be just what you're looking for. I haven't tried the new style Infinity yet but the old style is tough as nails. The Ultra-G (government version) is even better but I believe they've recently become pretty scarce.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

CMG Infinity Ultra, built like a tank. Put an Energizer lithium AA cell in it and it will stand by for a long time, something in the region of 10 years. I've heard Energizer claim more, but ~10 is my working estimate. Waterproof. Drown-proof. Bashing it around would probably dent the aluminium but it's largely shockproof too.

$15. You can still afford to buy a few on that budget in case they get killed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There was the Ultra-G, which has a hard anodized coat instead of the regular Type 2 anodizing, but that is only a concern if you're worried about how resistant it is to surface (cosmetic) scratches.

Edit: Wow, in the time it took me to type this, there are 3 other recommendations for the Ultra? makes me want to go and get an Ultra-G, except that you can't get 'em any longer...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

great minds think alike!

Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I concur with the Infinity. My CMG Infinity Ultra has been through the washer and dryer more than once. It comes out clean, and working just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Put a lithium AA in it and forget about it!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I think the light that comes closest to your requirements is one of the Peak Matterhorns, either 1 or 3 LED models. It's my impression, probably wrong, that the brass one would offer greater crush resistance than the aluminum. The toughest would be the stainless steel, but that will be more than $40.

Geoff

AlecGold

Enlightened

I did have an Infinity , but I found it to faint.
but for that price it is a very nice light.
Perhaps you can get a modded one which has a LuxI.

TomH

Newly Enlightened

The only light in your price range that would work IMHO is the Infinity Ultra with an L91 installed. Of course, you can see I'm not the first person to recommend that combo.

watt4

Enlightened

for a survival kit, I'd limit consideration to lights that have been readily available for a while.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Re: Looking for the World\'s Toughest Small LED

This past Christmas I was given a white Paklite (http://www.9voltlight.com/) w/ alkaline battery. A couple weeks later I bought myself a turquoise Paklite w/ lithium. If assembling a survival kit I would probably include the turquoise/lithium. It has surprisingly good throw for a 2x5mm LED light - better than the white Paklite and also much better than my Infinity Ultra or Arc AAAs. The lithium battery gives it good output stability and long shelf life. It will burn many times longer than an Infinity. Lack of regulation is bad for EDC use, but is very good for survival use.

The Paklite isn't metal but is very tough. They have sold about 30,000 of them, so it's a fairly well tested product. The website says that they are used by the USAF, presumably in their survival kits, but I can't verify that. The Paklite will not operate properly under water but is not damaged by being under water, for what that's worth.

The light has two output levels, which I consider important for versatility and survival. Low is about the same as my Arc4+ on its lowest setting. High meters as bright as my Infinity but (in turquoise) appears much brighter and throws a lot farther. The lithium battery has an aluminum case that seems more durable than Duracell 9v cases. The rectangular shape will tailstand or point straight when set on a flat surface, and will not roll away. It's too early to make judgement yet, but the light is looking pretty good so far. Pretty unsophisticated as far as lights around here go, but sometimes that's the ticket.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I would have suggested the Arc-AAA, but Arc went down the {vulgar term for feces}bowl early last autumn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I'll therefore suggest the Infinity Ultra.

stockae92

Enlightened

i bang my ultra G on things all the times and its still working like a champ

but if you want keychain size, you might want to stick to something using AAA battery

maybe sonic/sonic G??

cy

Flashaholic

What Craig said,

before ARC closed down you could get a new ARC AAA for under $40. now you can still find a used ARC AAA for aprox. $40.

infinity ultra G is quite a bit tuffer than a reg ultra. ARC AA is functional the same as ultra G, only way more expensive.

I've got an ARC AAA with wear I'll sell you for $55 shipped conus, if you cannot find one.

ARC AAA has aprox 6 hours runtime and ultra G has aprox. 10 hours runtime. with lithium cell a little longer.

the two best survival lights are both out of production /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, the concensus seems to be the Ultra-G if you can still get it (and use a lithium AA) - I think I'd agree.

But for the price - I'd throw in a few of the cheapo (lithium) coin-cell LED lights too as "back-up" - for really tough lights that can stand up to being run over by a car - would be these

Super Tough Pocket LEDs from CountyComm.com

crush%20light%20small.jpg

I don't like these too much despite them being "tough" in that they are only squeeze lights - without a constant on/off.

For a constant on/off switch one try these

20 for $20 LEDs also from CountyComm.com

pocketlightx3half.jpg

They are not as tough - but with 20+ you can afford to have plenty of them as "back-ups"......

please see this review and discussion thread -

20 for $20 LED Lights