Dorcy 1AAA - Disable push button on/off?

triplem

Newly Enlightened
On the Dorcy 1AAA, is there a simple way to disable the push button feature and have only twist on/off?

I want to keep the light in a backpack and am concerned about the push button being accidentally activated.

Thanks,

Neal

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
triplem said: On the Dorcy 1AAA, is there a simple way to disable the push button feature and have only twist on/off?
I want to keep the light in a backpack and am concerned about the push button being accidentally activated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one does NOT remove the cheesy thin wire "keyring loop" - then the Dorcy 1AAA has a lock-out of the momentary ON push button.

Experiment and see - on mine it's about 2 1/2 full turns out from the just on position - so if I was worried about the light coming on accidentally - then I'd probably carry the light with the tail-cap tuned at least 3 full turns out.

However I have EDC the Dorcy 1AAA in my pocket for well over a year, and carry it with about 1/2 turn out from the just on position - which I've found is about "optimum" for me -

Yes, I have had occassions when the light has come on momentarily - it's never been on for more than a second or so, and will turn off by itself - since the activation is "momentary" - although when it's happened I've felt foolish - other than that, there is no real danger of draining the battery.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You can unscrew it to the point where it will not turn on if the button is accidentally pushed, yet the tailcap will remain on the light.

Geoff

triplem

Newly Enlightened
It only takes between 2 1/2 to 3 full revolutions before my tailcap comes off. I played with it some more and found the button is disabled at one full revolution.

Thanks guys!

Neal

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
mine kept on falling apart when I EDC'd it in my pocket so I took a pair of pliers and buggered the threads up a little and made it a little harder to turn and it no longer falls apart.

junior

Enlightened
I carry a Dorcy1AAA in my survival kit when i go to the mountains. I unscrew the top enough to engage the lockout tail cap. You can apply some electrical tape on if you are keeping it for back up like me to ensure the cap does not turn.

Also, try not to carry it on the cheap wire keychain loop. I made my own lanyard system to ensure strength etc.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I lost my keychain loop on mine and bent a paper clip to make a new one, it is stiffer than the old one.

davidra

Enlightened
Really interesting thing happened today. I bought one on Sunday as a gift; today, I opened the sealed package, dropped the battery in, and nothing. I looked more closely, took it apart, and there were two pieces of paper jammed up where the base of the LED should have been. The only thing up there was the LED, which looked like it had been boiled. There was no support structure or LED base. Weird.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a fair sized dot of of epoxy or Super Glue on the inside bottom edge of the tail cap then wait until the glue sets. Now the tail cap button is locked in place. Easy!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
triplem said:
It only takes between 2 1/2 to 3 full revolutions before my tailcap comes off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops - I'm embarrassed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I was counting 1/2 turns
so I really meant 2 1/2 HALF-turns or
1 1/4 full turns (or revolutions) to lock-out.

To be on the safe side I would turn the tail-cap out by 1 1/2 full turns/revolutions.

Sorry for the mistake - but the principle was right,
and one should experiment with one's own light -
in case of a stupid mistake - like the one I made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Another way to prevent the dorcy pushbutton is to drill out two holes like the original holes the keychain loop has but situate them further down so the button cannot move when pushed when you place the wire in the new holes.

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Vincent. No worries. I'm the one a little embarassed (cause I wasn't turning it far enough to lock it out and had to ask the question)!

haveblue. Great idea but a little too permanent for me.

junior. Does your lanyard system use the stock wire loop? Can you describe what you use?

By the way, I found a permanent fix for my concern. I just bought two Ultra Infinities (old style with twist head / no button)! Seriously, this is going to be a hard use backpack / camping light and the Ultras are quite robust. The Dorcy will sit on my desk. Can never have enough toys.

Neal