Opinions Needed: Eternalight EliteMax worth it ??

jtice

Flashaholic
I have had my eye on the eternalights for a while now, and I see that they are on sale now.
I was thinking of getting an EliteMax.

Anyone here own one?
Is it worth the $ for its relatively low light output?
I know its not ment to be real bright, but more focuses on features.
Seems it would make a great long runtime light.

Let me know what you think !

~John

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Poinions Needed: Eternalight EliteMax worth it ??

It's output is on par with a 1w. Other than the color difference, I can't tell between it and my old kl1.

This light is on the must-have list for any real cpf member. Period.

Nice camping light. You turn it on, hop in the sleeping bag, and it turns itself off after about 10 minutes.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Re: Poinions Needed: Eternalight EliteMax worth i

I think it was the ultimate flashlight before Luxeons came out. Now, I think something simpler and cheaper in the eternalight line would suffice. If you've got one of the unregulated lights and you've got it at an intermediate output level and find it too dim or getting a bit dimmer, just brighten it a bit.

Also, the light requires a thorough understanding and memory of all the functions (and there are lots). If you don't like to read manuals or don't use the light often, or lose the manual, you may find it difficult to use. Of course, the manual is on their web site...

If you can get a good deal, then I'd say go for it. I'd be reluctant to pay full price.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

It is really worth it.
Not as a flashlight in the sense we use it, but more as a light-tool as it offers some functionality no other light has to offer ... mainly the runtime, watertight, floating, magnet for attachment, tailstand, regulation, nice flood beam ...
It is plenty bright for the tasks it is intended for, for example lighting a room ar a tent all night long etc.
bernhard

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello John,

I use mine while camping. It's great. It is not a distance light, but around camp (and around the house) it works well.

My mother in law was visiting over Christmas. She was use to a little more light in the bathroom at night than we have, so I got out the EliteMax and found a setting that she was comfortable with. Wa-La, instant adjustable night light.

Tom

kevindick

Newly Enlightened

I had an Ergo for years and upgraded to the EliteMax about a year ago (my ergo went in my travel shaving kit so I wouldn't have to move lights around when I travel). Despite having a wide array of Luxeon based lights, I use the EliteMax much more often.

It's the ideal bedstand light. In fact, I gave up my reading lamp because using the EliteMax to read disturbs my wife a lot less. And with an average of about 30 min reading per night at the 4th level from lowest, I believe I'm only on my 3rd set of lithium AAs over about 5 years and those are still pretty fresh.

jtice

Flashaholic

Thanks for the great input guys.

I have had my eye on them a while, I REALLY like lights with features like DIMMING, the timers sound GREAT, and hey the flashy stobe modes have to be fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And I really dont care much for unregulated lights, and I was really happy to see them come out with a regulated one.
BUT, being able to turn it off! wow thats cool.

This should make a great camping light, I do alot of camping, hiking, caving, so this should serve me well.

Welp, I just ordered one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif $70 shipped.

Thanks alot guys.

~John

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Nice, John. Totally worth it. Great features, really functional. I think people are put off by the weird shape and three batter configuration. But the Max is feature loaded and useful all around, in the house, in the car, in the campsite...

daloosh

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great lights, I've got most of them but there isn't really a great difference in output of the Max that I can see. I've got the ErgoMarine's available for $34 plus whatever shipping actual cost is from 81007. These are new in the box with 3 AA Lithiums. They really aren't hard at all to use and there are basic functions stamped right in the rubberized button pad area. I like the ErgoMarines because they are all-weather-ready-for-anything lights with stainless steel screws and they float of course. On full power they are suprisingly bright but not as focused as some other lights like Surefire etc. They will blind someone temporarily though at close range and I don't know of any other light that can run so long on one set of batteries. Think how long a digital watch can run on a tiny watch battery and you will understand why these can run so long. The light is controlled by a microprocessor that can turn the LED on and off fast at low power so it conserves power used by the LED but it is fast enough that it looks steady. While Tech Assoc. only claim 700 hour for most of their lights when you get one with Alkalines the manual will show they can do 2,800 hours on the lowest setting - and that's with Alkaline. I'm guessing the Lithiums will do up to
4,000 hours (30% more). I have used my very first Eternalight for about 4 years now and it's gotten a lot of use yet it is still appears to have nearly full brightness with its ORIGINAL AA Alkalines! I fully expect I won't have to buy new batteries for the ErgoMarine for at least 8 more years. (10 year shelf life).

Phil_B

Enlightened

I love mine John. You won't be dissapointed. BUT-if you carry anything which can be damaged by a magnet (read-credit cards,phone memories etc),take care what it sits on in your "Fatboy"!
More than anything,it's fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lahjik

Newly Enlightened

Is there an easy way to remove the battery?

jtice

Flashaholic

yea, i was thinking that also Phil, Ill have to watch out for that.

lahjik, no, you must take out the 4 screws, though a svrewdriver is provided.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

They have 4 easy access small phillips head screws. Anyone who is a flashaholic and doesn't have a gadget with a small phillips screwdriver at all times would be a rarity I think. I have a Leatherman Micra and an M4 Serbertool both clipped to my Arc AAA. Always in the pocket. The Serbertool tackles the Eternalights screws easily and it's thinner and shorter than the Micra but just a little wider.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened

Heh...my Leatherman Micra got confiscated by the New York State Troopers at the capital building in Albany. I had to visit the State Library, and my directions included accessing the underground concourse through the capital building. Since I was running late due to snow on the drive from Western NY, I didn't have time to consult a map and find that if I crossed the street I could access the concourse without loosing my Micra.

Anyway, my new Squirt P4 does nicely even if the screwdrivers aren't quite as useful as with the Micra. The blue goes nicely with the brass Peak Shasta too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I just wanted to make sure the magnet wasn't glued or otherwise permanently secured inside the case. Thanks for the info.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Opinions Needed: eternaLight EliteMax worth..

[ QUOTE ]
lahjik said:
I just wanted to make sure the magnet wasn't glued or otherwise permanently secured inside the case.

[/ QUOTE ]
The magnet is affixed to the outside of the case with what I believe is double-sided tape.
I don't know if you can remove it without breaking it, but it is not affixed to the flashlight when you buy it.