Night-Ops Gladius Release Information

GutWrench

Enlightened
Just got an email from night-ops, looks like May is the release date. Price is $249.99. This is going to be a awsome torch!
Gladius-4colors-Large.jpg

Derek

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Those finishes are certainly cool looking. Could be great if they are up to the task ...
bernhard

OddOne

Enlightened
I'd love to get hold of one for a review, but I don't think I'm a big enough fish for that yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OddOne sneaks over to the LED Museum to swipe any Gladuis coming there for reviews... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oO

cdf

Enlightened
Should be interesting , Blackhawk isn't known for making junk ~!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know more about the specs? LED? Incand? Power? Focus? Types of batteries?

AlecGold

Enlightened
It sure does look nice, but I'm a bit concerned with all those tailcap functions, pushing and rotating, quick pushes or long pushes, I dunno, IMHO for a tac. light it seems a bit complex to me. But it is also in the same price range as a SF U2.

Samuel

Enlightened
I'm not too crazy about that Auto Temperature Control function (page 6 in the specifications pdf). I wouldn't want it dimming or shutting down on me during extended use.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AlecGold said:
It sure does look nice, but I'm a bit concerned with all those tailcap functions, pushing and rotating, quick pushes or long pushes, I dunno, IMHO for a tac. light it seems a bit complex to me. But it is also in the same price range as a SF U2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the switch is too damn confusing to deal with in a stress situation. I want either momentary with a partial press of the switch, or constant on if I push the switch in completely like on the Scorpion. The rotating tail cap would be logical if it were for variable brightness and lockout; features that would be useful when not in a takedown situation.

For a flashlight that's emphasized for law enforcement use it breaks the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) rule. Holding a firearm with a trigger, safety, slide release, decocking lever, and magazine release in one hand is enough to deal with. I don't want a light in the other hand with multiple controls and settings.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
Does anyone know more about the specs? LED? Incand? Power? Focus? Types of batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lux 3, S & T bins.

SS

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I really feel that it is unfair and indeed pre-emptive to start criticising the Gladius. For my money and from knowledge of the people behind the R&D on this light it will perform in tactical uses very well. Of course 'informed' criticism is different, but as samples are not yet available to members of this forum who can truely say they are as yet informed?
Doug

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mmind this is light is developed for and by "elite" veterans. It is intended for swat teams and the like, and I'm sure it is desinged in such a way that would enable them to use it effectively.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You set the function (momentary, strobe, constant on) by turning a thumb-dial; activate by pressing the button.

Doesn't sound too confusing to me.

It might be annoying to "fire up" and get the wrong mode, but I don't see that as a major problem. Just thumb the dial to what you want.

Scott

code09

Enlightened
I agree with doug. I think this light looks really good, as of now. But who knows, i am looking forward to further reviews on this light.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Just read thru the pdf, very interesting light. At that price level, so as long the light is well built(for ex, no loosen or disfunctional tailcap, easy to break...) and functional as it supposed to be(strobe, adjustable level of lighting, momentary), then it will be a great competitor to SF U2 for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only concern that I would potentially have is the temperature control. Maybe the themal shut down is a safe way to protect the light--but the potential tradeoff is the user without light which could be dangerous if it is used for life threatening situation. But who knows, maybe the shutdown would never occur. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My read is that the temperature control wouldn't put you much at risk. To quote the spec sheet:

"The automatic temperature control feature then cuts the LED power by 50% (approx 25% light reduction) allowing the temperature of the Gladius to gradually reduce. The light will continue to emit light at a very useful level. If for some reason the temperature is not reduced and it continues to increase to a critical temperature threshold, the power sent to the LED is automatically terminated . . ."

I dunno. Sounds like a good thing for a light in a bag though, and etter than having your jacket melted or worse.

Scott

GutWrench

Enlightened
I think its gonna be a winner. If you have opposable thumbs you should be able to operate this light. Jeez guys this is a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
True I don't have a sample to test, but I know something about how simple things become complex when things get suddenly nasty. For example the fire extinguisher is commonly a problem for people under stress. Seems simple, just pull the pin and squeeze the handle. However a lot of people don't think about the pin until after they've squeezed the handle, and they can't get the pin out because they're still squeezing the handle down on the pin. The brain needs to stop thinking about the disaster unfolding before them and think for a few seconds about how to operate the extinguisher. With prior training that person could operate the extinguisher under stress without thinking about it.

SWAT teams have the luxury of training daily with their equipment, street cops do not. To have a light which may not work as expected when seconds counts isn't such a good idea. And really all I'm saying is the basic momentary and constant on should be a dedication function of the push button switch. Leave the extra features a part of the rotary switch.