safety talk !!

liteglow

Enlightened
As more and more people getting high powered laser pointers (5mW is also a risk)
But there is many people that own a 50mW and even a 200mW laser !

I wonder if there is anybody got any safety tips when using this lasers?
Do u wear goggles, use it where there is no mirror, always otuside, something?

And have anybody ever got a laser beam into the eye, and what have u notice as a result of laser into a eye?

I think it`s time to talk some safety so people dont forget it!
I did get my laser into my eye today in a millisecond from a mirror.. i`m glad it was not the strongest laser i own!
I dont want other to forget about the laser safety!

If there anybody that sells goggles supposed to use with green lasers ??
i need it.. i i think many others need it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers

Kiessling

Flashaholic
www.roithner-laser.com

... is an Austrian-based company that sells pretty much everything about lasers including safety goggles (last time I checked), but they are not cheap and shipping isn't free either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bernhard

DaFiend

Enlightened
I've got a couple of pairs(gotta have enough for everyone!!) of of those UK Army surplus goggles you see on ebay. Very effective against 532nm lasers, and they are dirt cheap too. Dunno about using them for a 200mW.......
I don't know they are triple coated either, ( i have no way to test) so if the beam is contaminated with infrared....../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I try not to use my laser around anything reflective at all. Sometimes though, i just cant help myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
You need ones for 532nm wavelength, idealy you would get triple-coated ones to protect against stray infrared. So, 532nm/808nm/1064nm. More money though.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Personal suggestion:

For any 532nm laser 35mW or above, you should be strictly using it under planned conditions such as controlled experiments.

To that extent, this simple routine should provide the most effective safety. Take a clipboard and a sheet of paper, and make yourself a sign-in form.

"Date/Time | Reason for use | Location of use | Number of spectators | Are any spectators unaware that you're about to power a laser? (Y/N)"

If you had such a form, you wouldn't have to worry very much about safety. Hap-hazard indoor or outdoor use of any power tool only begs for the unpredictable element to show its face and wreak havoc on your life or someone else's. Projectiles devices require heavy thought and planned actions, especially in predicting and avoiding ricochet. Treat it like a staple gun, nail gun, or even a real gun.

Raccoon

photonic

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of US Army goggles that are protected against 3 different wavelengths of laser. However I was only able to find them once and never again. Fiend, can you elaborate on the UK army goggles?

DaFiend

Enlightened
They are UK army surplus.See this E-Bay Auction . If you want mutiple pairs, just tell them that you want to buy a few and you can get them for the the price of the auction that you win each. So win Auction at 4 pounds, pay 4pounds per pair. They are dirt cheap.

See here for a pair in action. Very effective for green! Red however is a No No!!!!

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened
An aside, I use a MIG welder on a regular basis. On the 'stupid day' I was doing a 'quick' stich weld without the mask, thinking I could line it up and just close my eyes during the ark. Total bare eye exposure time to the ark light est 1 second (blinked twice)! Imediately after I noticed a decrease in my vision. Even 2 years later, I can't focus in on a computer screen like before, and I have to 'wave' print around till I can focus. I got lightly- peeling, but painful sunburn on my face. The exposure was less than 1 min to face. Lesson (F!!!, I'm a stupid ignorant ***). A flash of stupidity can change your life! Greenies are very controlable so CONTROL them! Absolutely keep them out of ANY eyes! High power users >150mW, be aware of the cumulative effects of difused reflected radiation and wear eyeware. Now I pay!

DaFiend

Enlightened
Hmmmm, you should test them before you go full on with them. i honestly don't know with >150mW. For the cost though, its worth getting a pair anyway.

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Eyes didn't hurt at all, that's the scary part! Face was sensative X 3 days like sunburn--Face doesn't happen with green lasers, just UV from MIGs and such! Fry the eyes tho.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Let me attempt to make myself clearer. MIG welders cause radiant nasty UV radiation 360* cubed from the spark(shines all around). Green (and other) lasers are a directed single dimensioned controllable source of nasty light (not UV). My point is simply to protect your eyes against stray or accidental exposure to direct or refleced harmful light. Whith a 5mW, oops! Whith a 70mW, cripes! Whith a >150mW there could be cumulative effect of reflection into the peepers. Whear your gogs?

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
As I am working in the laser- buisiness (medical application) I can strongly recommend the googles of LASERVISION (Germany). They have models for all typical wavelength (UV,VIS,IR). You can find them at www.lvg.com
Remember, good googles will hurt your purse but any laserbeam can destroy your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!