Need list of major Taiwan LED manufacturers

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Many here were of great help with my LED taximeter sign lighting project. What it has come down to is that we need LEDs with more output than the ones I've gotten from Hebei LTD in order to have any chance at getting the order. Our low cost competitor's LEDs have somewhat more output than the ones I've been using. To update everyone on some approximate figures ours put out about 1.3 lumens at 20 mA while those of our competitor put out roughly 2.7 lumens, also at 20 mA. Hebei LTD can custom make LEDs for us using its brightest chip, but these still only put out a bit over 2 lumens at 20 mA, and at $0.33 in 132K or larger quantities it's a bit too pricey for our needs. Our competitor is using 210 LEDs with current-limiting resistors. Bad design for sure but at normal car voltages the LEDs are driven to about 30 mA and put out about 3.5 lumens each, for a total of close to 750 lumens. In order to remain competitive, we need to match this output with 192 LEDs costing $0.23 each or less. In order to ensure a long life, the LEDs need to be in a super flux rather than a 5mm package, and will be driven at 20 mA. Basically then we need a manufacturer who can make LEDs in a super flux package using a chip bright enough to output 3.5 lumens or greater at 20 mA. I've heard that LED manufacturers in China don't have access to the purest semiconductor materials so they can't produce LEDs of nearly as good quality as those in Taiwan. Taiwan then seems like the route for price competitive, bright LEDs.

Can anyone be of any help here? It looks like an LED using Cree's XT-21 or XT-24 chip (or a chip with similar output) should be more than bright enough for our needs. And BTW, we also need a manufacturer with enough volume to allow us to choose ~200K pieces of whatever color bin we find satisfactory. Right now it looks like a CCT of 5500K to 6000K will be ideal.