why don't headlamps come on low with the 1st click

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
why don\'t headlamps come on low with the 1st click

i use the brightest setting on my PT EOS least out of all the levels of constant light. and i use the lowest setting most of all.

i really wouldn't mind seeing a light like the EOS with a cycle that starts on low, goes to medium, then high, then strobe. going thru high and medium nearly every time i use the EOS is a pain.

PS didn't mean to single out the EOS. all other headlamps i know of with multiple levels go into high first too.

mrme

Enlightened
Re: why don\'t headlamps come on low with the 1st click

I was thinking the same thing this week.
A dim light will work well in many situations, but if your eyes see a bighter light, the dim light looses its utility. If you start with the dim light and it is enough, you will be fine using it, but if you start with the brightest, the dim will never look good enough for anything!

It is probably marketing that insists on the stupid order. They think they need the "Wow" factor on the first click. Of course they care most about what you think of it in the store, not how well it actually works in service.

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened

I agree. I was in New Mexico on a cross country snow shoe hike last week and used my PT EOS. With the snow on the ground being so reflective, the dimmest brightness setting was great. We did part of the hike with no lights on since we had a partial moon. It was a royal pain in the #@# every time I needed to turn the unit back on because it was way too bright. In fact, I had to cover it with my hand while cylcing through to the dimmest setting.

It probably is a marketing thing......

mrme

Enlightened

BlindedByTheLight, you had the perfect username to start this thread.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably for the same reason that fans go from OFF to HIGH to MED to LOW.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: why don\'t headlamps come on low with the 1st c

Mr:
i agree. i don't think it's as bad outdoors as it is indoors tho. i was in bed watching basketball the other night and remembered i needed to take the stinky trash out, so i get up and throw on my EOS. i get in the kitchen and turn it on near the white kitchen door, and, of course, BAM! take that eyes! low mode would've been bright already.
as for my name, i've learned the hard way. over and over! haha

Luminocity:
i do the same hand trick when turning my EOS on now. it's a pain!

GJW:
something tells me these two technologies have conspired together in the past.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

I have sent an email to Princeton Tec asking this question.

I will let you know what they respond with.

I asked if there was any technical reason to have the light start on high.

Tom

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
i do the same hand trick when turning my EOS on now. it's a pain!

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose you could also just squint while you're cycling through to low mode.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm rather sure it's designed that way for the perceived needs of the masses. If it starts on low it fails to impress.

I, too, have been "converted" and realize the improved utility of lower light levels for many uses. It's probably the PR jokers who hold the power of the final design but haven't a clue that it makes no sense to waste runtime, advertise your whereabouts (usually), blind yourself and companions and ruin acquired night vision.

greenLED

Flashaholic

It'd be nice if the headlamp circuit could remember the last setting it was used on (like the BD's with "IC" circuit). I tend to like the high setting 'cuz I'm always trying to spot poisonous snakes on the trail (got plenty of those where I come from!). Dim setting just doesn't cut it.

Darkaway

Enlightened

Personally, I prefer to start on high. That's the setting I use most often anyway. I'm usually outside when I switch on, and I want to see as much of my surroundings as possible. I'm also very happy with my Matrix 2, which has no power settings. A dimming feature is just not a deal breaker for me, given my use for a headlamp. If I just want to read I won't use my Eos anyway. My Tikka+ or Aurora is better suited for that task.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Memory option for the settings would be best, but if they have to keep it cheap and simple, I don't mind the high start, because I use the dimmer settings primarily for power savings, not night vision. It's just the hassle of needing to click several times to get there that's the issue for me, but I'll put up with that because it would usually be for a long term operation anyway. If I just need it for a short time, I don't mind it coming up in full mode- the more the merrier.
Always a flip side to every design decision.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Here is the response I got from Princeton Tec.

"Tom,

I apologize for the delay of this response. It has been hectic with all of the shows going on right now. I actually had the chance to meet a few of the CPF members out at Shot show. They seemed like a great bunch of guys, and they all bought an EOS. As for the reason behind our lights shining on high first, it is mainly marketing. When the general consumer is comparing headlamps in a store, they turn them on, and choose whichever is the brightest. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or comments on our products.

Thanks,

Jay Harrington

Corporate Sales Rep. / Outdoor Division
www.princetontec.com
[email protected] "

All those who thought that it had something to do with marketing were right on.

Tom

Mattman

Enlightened

I guess we pretty much hit the nail in the head - brightness sells. Remembering the last mode used would definitely be the best way to do it. With lights generally getting cheaper and adding more functions (and running out of new features to add), I bet we see someone implement this pretty soon - in fact, isn't this what the Zenix IQ's "mode memory" is?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know that the small 5LED Nuwai headlamp I recieved recently (not sure of the model yet) starts on low (1LED), then medium (3 LEDs), then high (all 5) then strobe, then off. Will get pics in a minute...

EDIT: Here's the photo. Haven't tracked down the model yet (this is rebranded as part of the Ring Cyba-Lite range).

profile.jpg

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for getting to the bottom of that, Tom.

this was a turning-your-headlamp-on-and-hurting-your-eyes-and-ruining-your-night vision-sucks post.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of the older PALights, red, that comes on LOW and steps up six levels to brightest. It's invaluable, for that reason.

So the on-BRIGHT is due to Marketers. Stupid, damned marketers.

Headlight comes on bright, pupils get smaller, takes five or ten or twenty seconds to actually get stable vision back, and takes LONGER the older people get for the pupils to adjust. -- dumb.

Now this, if this could be modded to fix, would be a welcome thing to change.

A little DIP switch maybe that sets it to go from off to dim, on one setting, or off to bright, on the other?

Or is it all done in firmware now so can't be fixed by changing the switch.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Marketers only do what works, i.e. they play to the people and the people are impressed with bright first.