Q3 is modular

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just manage to replace the original lens with a 22mm UCL, spent some time centering the reflector. Then I realise that the Q3 is actually made out of 4 pieces.
1) The bezel which contains the lens and reflector
2) The sandwich body with clip attached
3) Battery tube with knurling
4) Tailcap clicky

I've looked at Q3 mother which is a 2x CR123. The design is the same except for a longer battery tube. Replacing the Battery tube on the Q3 with a custom tube means we can accommodate a Pila 168S(2x 123) or even 150S. With Li-Ion its slightly overdriving but what about a tube for 2x AA ?

Isn't Q3 wonderful modding platform? Someone make me a longer tube for Q3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif How about a Q3-UBH? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ledaholic

Enlightened
I wanted to experiment with direct driving my spare Q3 so I made a solid "puck" to replace the ring under the star and replaced the boost circuit with a piece of etched pc board. I replaced the reflector with a IMS20mm smothie and a UCL lens. My spare Q3 has a SX1L in it and is pretty bright with a fresh R123 but dims quickly as the surface charge goes away. I think a T**K would work well with a R123. This would be a really great light with a custom batt tube using a 168* batt.