buy an L4, save $1350

turbodog

Flashaholic
Friend of mine today called. He knew my propensity for nice lights and wanted to use one (a new one, not MINE!) for a project. It was an optical scanner for industry and it needed a good light source. The manufacturer had an array of 90 (yeah, ninety) leds. They wanted $1500-2000 for this setup. I told him to go get an L4 and save about $1350. We'll see what happens.

Maybe I can get him to take some measurements on the L4. That way we can see what happens to it because this thing will run 24x7. It will not be shut off, and will be subject to heavy vibration the entire time.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know how it will do....... He would probably want the head by itself without the body, right? He could then wire it to a 6 Volt power source.

-tom

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Industrial scanner's light sources are supposed to spread light evenly over a large surface, right? The L4's beam pattern might not fit that job but I agree $1500 is still bit pricey for a 90led array.
Some one here should be able to build something like that for much less... that is if we are indeed talking about 90 5mm leds and not 90 luxes or lamina LEs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

wwglen

Enlightened
Don't the 5W LEDs only have a 500 hour life (to 75% brightness)?

wwglen

greenLED

Flashaholic
hmm... I'm not clear on what your friend needs, but a single light source may not be enough for them for technical requirements of this "optical sensor". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
I suggested he get the entire light. That way he has more flexible mounting options and the ground connection will already be made. Yes, they are ordering a 6v power supply for it.

The sensor is scanning an area 1.5 inches square. The L4 will be more than enough as they were experimenting with a handheld fluorescent battery operated light (cheap-o) and it was almost bright enough.

As far as the emitter degradation goes, time will tell on that one. Maybe he'll give me the old, used up heads and I can rework them and/or send them back to surefire.

The sensor is scanning about 25,000 parts per minute. So things are whizzing along at a good clip.

It will be actively cooled, so that should help matters also.

paulr

Flashaholic
They should call McGizmo. He's done some pretty nice work with Luxeons mounted on Locline stalks, powered by 12 volts.