Gerber Infinity Ultra vs Gerber Sonic???????

junior

Enlightened
Since Gerber has bought out CMG, i have noticed that more Gerber lighting items have showed up at Target etc. and anticipate seeing a lot more.

With that, im thinking of picking up a few of those Gerber Sonics and want to know if the sonics would be a better choice than the Infinity Ultra's.

Im mostly looking for edc, survival pack, back up lighting from the Gerber line of sonic and or Infinity ultra.

What say you?

gorlank

Enlightened
My votes on the Ultra. I like the Sonic and it's a good product but for some reason it never grew on me.

cmgposts.jpg

junior

Enlightened
i think i like the sonic for it is a lot smaller than the Ultra. Especially if it is for back up, PSK's, etc.,

However, i might have to at least buy a Ultra:)

paulr

Flashaholic
The Sonic has never been terribly popular around here because it wasn't as nice a light as the Arc AAA which was a CPF favorite. The Arc is nicer on a keychain because it has wider spill, doesn't have that twist tail that made the early Sonics turn on by themselves, etc. The Arc was about 3x as expensive though.

The most popular light for PSK's on equipped.org (a PSK-obsessed survival gear site, not especially flashaholic influenced) is the Photon II. These days there's lots of similar keychain lights in the $1.00 range and a light even like a Sonic is overkill if it's just going to languish in a PSK until something happens.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sonic is a good size, especially for pocket carry. It doesn't quite have the same "solid" feel as the Infinity, though. .

junior

Enlightened
Your too funny paulr....

I want to carry a 1AAA for a PSk for the ease of battery change, the ability to use alks, or liths and for better runtime, better build and water resistance. I may consider kevins 1.25 lights as an extra light to keep in my first aid kit.

Keep em coming boys.....

junior

Enlightened
thanks for the pics gorlank those are some sweet looking lights...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Ultra. But for a worst case scenario, why not throw both in there. That way, you're covered for being able to use AAs or AAAs. But AAs should be much more widely available and like I said, I like the Ultra

junior

Enlightened
This is my current hiking set up:

1. Energizer headlamp (AAA's)with extra batt's
2. SFG2 with extra batt's
3. Dorcy 1AAA in PSK with extra batt'

Always looking to update/upgrade

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
All our BOBs have infinity ultra-Gs in them, AAs are more readily found, and other items in the BOB use them, so it's easier to standardize around AAs. Things like the Countycomm GP-4 shortwave radio, the Streamlight SL Jr., the Eternalight Max, the Motorola GMRS radio.

That said, the Sonic has a smaller profile, easier to carry in a pocket or around your neck. Ya know, I just don't like the way it looks. And since my wife and I EDC Arc AAAs, we never went down the Sonic path. I've given a bunch away, and people have always liked them.

cheers
daloosh

junior

Enlightened
I have to agree that the looks are not as nice as the Ultra G and ArcAAA, but for the price compared to other AAA's its not that bad. Might have to try the Ultra G too. I am starting to like the sonic, now....

paulr

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity, how much is Target selling the Ultra and Sonic for?

junior

Enlightened
You know paulr, i have only seen the gerber sonic in a gift package with a a gerber multi tool at target. Now, since Gerber mass sells to Walmart and Target, it is my opinion that there lights will soon be showing up as well. Gerber's UltraG and Sonic are there less expensive lights, so they would sell in Target and possibly at Walmart.

Walmart and Target already carry thier knives and multitools in mass and the lights should be coming real soon....

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoorah! I finally found my CMG Infinity Ultra. Haven't seen it for a year or so. I had stuffed it away in a survival knife pouch because for some reason I wasn't that thrilled with it at the time. It was a quick impulse buy at REI and just got stuffed away without really looking at it. Since reading all the interest in it here I realized it actually is a very nice light. For the price it's hard to beat and very durable - just not a lot of throw to the light but good for up close work. Has anyone tried polishing/grinding/sanding off the anodizing in the bezel that is the 'sort of' reflector around the LED? Mine is green so I've thought of trying to polish this to a nice bright aluminum finish which would likely increase the light output some. I'm not sure how you would do this though as it doesn't look like the LED assembly comes out easily and trying it with the LED in there may be difficult without scratching the LED itself. Thoughts?

gorlank

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
junior said:
thanks for the pics gorlank those are some sweet looking lights...

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy to help out a fellow flashaholic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!
Good luck with the decision.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, people have polished the bezel before. It doesn't make much difference. Most of the light comes out the front of the led. The anodize on the bezel protects the metal a little bit so you might as well leave it the way it is.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr - Thanks - you are right - most of the light is coming out the center of the LED - I see that now that I did a close beam test. It might brighten the perimeter a little but with the difficulty I see in doing this it's probably best to leave it as is.