Nuts about New Headlamps

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm nuts about some of the new headlamps that have been coming out in the last few months.

Specifically, the Princeton-Tec EOS and Corona, and the Petzl TacTikka Plus.

My P-T Aurora is still fine for many uses, but the new ones have relegated the Aurora to reading in my tent or hammock while out in the bush. It won't be going along on future trips, even though it is still a fine headlamp and one I recommend to most people. You can find them on Ebay for around $20.00 New. Every household in my extended family has atleast one of them.

I had bought a Petzl TacTikka last summer, the flip up/down red plastic filter sounded like a good idea to me (and it is), however, it was limited to on/off and had no dimming capability. Also, the head didn't have the tilting feature so I had to "aim" my head to get the flood where I wanted it.

The newer, Petzl TacTikka Plus has addressed what I considered short comings. The head swivels from the vertical a little (not as much as the P-T Aurora and EOS)but enough that I don't have to tuck my chin into my chest to get the flood where I want it.

The TacTikka Plus also has 4 LEDs rather than 3. It also adjusts to 3 levels of output and has a blinking mode for emergencies.

The red plastic flip up/down filter is a simple solution to having red light available to help keep your eyes adjusted for night vision.

It worked very well for me, even though the light looks almost orange up close, particularly on "high".

I just spent about 3 weeks working and walking in the bush at night. I wore the TacTikka PLus most of the time. We didn't have any grid power and I was the one with the most powerful flashlights, so at night my eyes were night adapted most of the time.

I found that on high output, the TacTikka yielded enough red light for me to walk around and keep from stepping on a snake or falling in a hole. For tasks within arm's length, the medium setting was ample. You lose a LOT of photons to that red filter! This is the case with all red filters in my experience.

The only time I used the low setting was so people could find me. So it stayed on generally all night long. I didn't keep track of runtime, I just changed the AAA cells when I felt that I "should". The AAA cells I replaced were given to those that had AAA lights or devices. They still had plenty of juice left.

The Princeton-Tec EOS, Luxeon I (or 1 Watt) is a geat little spotlight. When we were working at night, for instance digging a well, I used the EOS and it projected a good, white spot down 20 or 30 feet. I didn't use the EOS for walking around, it doesn't have enough spill and it totaled night adapted vision. Turn it off and I couldn't see anything.

For me, I think the Princeton-Tec headband is more comfortable when wearing it for a few hours. Also, the P-T heads tilt down further and without making the ratcheting noise of the TacTikka.

The Princeton-Tec Corona will go on my next trip. I think it is the answer for working at night, especially around camp. Lots of bright flood and several options for brightness. The separate switch for High-Low is a good idea. You can set it in a mode of output and then click it for a High or Low version of that mode. Sort of like turning on a supercharger.

Instead of my finding one headlamp to do everything (some things well, some things not-so-well) I've wound up with 3 headlamps to take with me. That's OK by me, though. They don't weigh all that much and they stow very compactly.

I've found that no flashlight is as convenient and practical when camping or working in the boonies as a headlamp. I tried a couple of Hybrids, but wasn't pleased with them. So I decided to "specialize" and carry more than one headlamp.

When I need a lot more light or projection (throw) I have flashlights for that.

What works for me may not work for those recreational and sport hikers and campers. They have to keep a tight rein on weight, so they'll perhaps be better served by a Hybrid that combines desired capabilities.

I am impressed by the innovation and improvement by the headlamp manufacturers in the headlamps they're offering in the last few months.

Britt

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cromag, I read that earlier and think I may have to order one. Your comments were persuasive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am reluctant to use tape on things I take to the great outdoors, tropical heat makes the adhesive smear and debris sticks to it. Also, I can't handle sticky fingers.

I did use some red translucent tape (for temporary repair of broken car tail light lenses) as a field expedient on a headlamp once.

Thanks for reminding me of that 712L.

Britt

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, that's really unusual looking. I like using my Q3 on the brim or Arc AAA.

The 712L does feel kinda bulky up front. I like to strap it around my baseball cap sometimes.

robk

Enlightened
You need to take a look at the Pelican 2630, runs off 3 AA's in a plastic waterproof case in back (I use NiMH), three brightness levels, 1W Lux side emitter with textured reflector produces nice, bright beam. Lightweight, comfortable, long runtime. Honestly, I can't see how it could be improved. Like all Pelican products, limited lifetime warranty.
Rob

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kewl BMU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

robk: I have a thing against power in the back.

GreenL: Wa's dat?!

cy

Flashaholic
I'm nuts about my new ez headlamp mod. three levels takes care of most jobs. with a TWOK on high. I've been getting 5-6 hours of usable light from the luxeon. 40 hours from the nichia.

rayovac headlamp 2.JPG

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's very cool, cy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britt, Can you include some pics for "us people who got nowhere local" to look at lights?

I always enjoy your reviews because you write like I think, in real world terms!

Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
What batts does that take cy?

5 hours on the Luxeon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif thats rather nice.
Did you simply replace the incan bulb, or did you add a circuit?

If that thing takes AAs, someone is gonna have to find me one ! LOL
Theses CRAP for headlamps around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mrme

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Wa's dat?!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Solaris is the most expensive recreational headlamp on the market (mass market anyways, there are a few specailty companies). MSRP is about $150, but it usaully goes online for a less. It is a typical Black Diamond headlamp with a Li-ion battery. The bulb is more powerful than most. As best I can tell it is a 1 amp bulb run at a regulated 4.5 volts and is dimmable. I don't have one, otherwise I could tell you more. I have heard good things about it. The reflector is textured, though, so the throw is not anywhere near even half of the advertized throw of 175 m.

That's proabbly more than you wanted to know. I don't know where any good images of it are. Black Diamond's product descriptions on their website are awful!

As to the main topic, yeah, I really like all the great headlamps on the market. Black Diamond are my personal favorites, but I have found the need to mod them to get them the way I like.

Luff

Enlightened
If cy did his mod as I did mine, the OEM incandscent comes out and the lux star goes in using the same screws to hold the star in place. It's a perfect fit and only requires soldering 2 wires. Runs on AAA's. Easy mod provides fairly bright red led illumination, slightly brigther than ARC AAA white led light and significantly driven Luxeon. Cheap and functional. Heavier than the competition, but a very good value.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
What batts does that take cy?

5 hours on the Luxeon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif thats rather nice.
Did you simply replace the incan bulb, or did you add a circuit?

If that thing takes AAs, someone is gonna have to find me one ! LOL
Theses CRAP for headlamps around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it uses 3x AAA to mated to Kbin for direct drive. please note at 5 hours output is dimmer,

but lot's useable light left. details here ez head lamp mod

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Britt, Can you include some pics for "us people who got nowhere local" to look at lights?

I always enjoy your reviews because you write like I think, in real world terms!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya, Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif Will do. I just got my image host paid up. I'll take some photos tomorrow morning when I have some light.

A friend came by just a few minutes ago and picked up my P-T Corona to use on a Boy Scout campout this weekend. He's the cook. He was pretty impressed with it wearing it around my bunker . We'll get a real-world review from him. I think camp cooking is a great test of a headlamp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting on the HDS Action Light III to see what that is all about. if it is not up to snuff then I will pick up one of the lights you guys are refrencing here. So keep up the information. I am like a sponge right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Curtis