windows media files that spreads spyware

cy

Flashaholic
relevant last two paragraphs from link.

"The problematic installations resulted most directly from the "feature" of Windows Media Player that lets media files open pop-up web pages. But most users will only receive the contaminated files if they download files from P2P filesharing networks. Of course, rogue media files are but one way that P2P networks spread spyware. For example, users requesting Kazaa receive a large bundle of software (including Claria's GAIN), after poor disclosures that bury key terms within lengthy licenses, without even section headers to help readers find what's where. Users requesting Grokster receive unwanted software even if they press Cancel to decline Grokster's installation (details).

Ed Bott offers an interesting, if slightly different, interpretation of these installations. Ed rightly notes that users with all the latest software -- not just Windows XP Service Pack 2, but also Windows Media Player 10 -- won't get the tricky pop-ups described above. Ed also points out that Windows Media Player displays of ActiveX installation prompt pop-ups are similar to deceptive methods users have seen before, i.e. when web sites try to trick users into installing software. True. But I think Ed gives too little weight to the especially deceptive circumstances of a software installation prompt shown when users try to watch a video. For one, legitimate media players actually do use these prompts to install necessary updates (i.e. the latest version of Macromedia Flash). In addition, the unusually misleading (purported) product name and company name make it particularly easy to be led astray here. Users deserve better."

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Media Files that open new browser windows or other such popups are nothing new and Microsoft is not the sole culprit.
Real Media has had a problem with this for years.
The Internet is a dangerous place and the naive or careless are better staying off of it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
the fact that ms/etc makes a video player that has a "feature" to allow website to be opened that the user did not request is in itself is a show of lack of intellegence/concern for security. You just don't do something like that. It's boneheadded. Is MS dumb or do they think that no one will use it for evil? (dumb too).

It would be like giving out the comibanation to your gun safe to anyone that asked... uh.. no!

----
In anycase, I don't care if it's dangerous or not, I don't want a freaking video file trying to surf the web!! I want to watch a video, not have the stupid thing open up webpages.. What's the point of that anyways?!?! If I was MS I wouldn't make a product that would annoy customers... I just dont get it. IE sucks too, it's intergrated into the OS, so you'd think it'd be fast since it might share core files. Well no, it's bloatware just like everything MS and slow as hell. Not effiecient code at all. And when it crashes, so does your OS. Firefox has not crashed once on me, and if it did, my OS wouldn't be comprimised...

The internet didn't use to be dangerous. You know why? MS didn't dominate the browswer market, and the ones that did, were smart enough to not have all these insecure "features" wating to be exploited!!

/end rant

Latest posts