Nichia continues to Dominate LumiLEDs by 7x sales

*Retired*
Nichia sales may top $2 billion

"While Nichia's sales for 2004 are expected to top $2 billion, Lumileds has shown 43% sales growth over the last 3 years.

Japanese LED manufacturer Nichia is forecast to report sales of 212 billion yen ($2.08 billion) for the year ended December 31, 2004, according to a report in Nihon Keizai Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper.

Later in the article:

A presentation by a Philips executive revealed that Lumileds' sales for the fiscal year ending October 2004 were $280 million (see graph). Lumileds also had a net income of $62 million, or 22% of sales, compared with a net loss of around $25 million reported 2 years previously.

http://ledsmagazine.com/articles/news/2/1/11?alert=1

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure Lumileds sales will grow a lot more than 43 % in 2005 and 2006. Nichia is certainly huge - do you think that the $ figure listed is for just the LED business, or does it also include their actual core Phos business ?

*Retired*
According to Nichia, much of the phosphor used in white LEDs is made by them.

According to Nichia, much of the phosphor used in fluorescent bulbs is also made by them.

LumiLEDs does some optical work for folks through the Phillips side of the house.

So probably not all the sales are due to strictly LED device sales by either company.

Ocelot

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nichia continues to Dominate LumiLEDs by 7x sa

I suspect that the vast bulk of Lumileds' sales ARE directly LEDs, however, compared to Nichia. Remember that LEDs are just a "side" business for Nichia. For Lumileds, that is their core (and basically only) reason for being.

Scott

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does lumileds produce 5mm and 3mm LEDs too? The only thing I know about LED companies right now is that Nichia is the only 5mm and 3mm LED producing company. Of course, this is probably not true. "Nichia" is used with 5mm and 3mm so much that I dont know if they are produced by other companies.

Edit: Wheee my 500th post!!!

pkjames

Newly Enlightened

lotz of Chinese LED manufacturers import the "die" from nichia. However, I can't see this on lumileds. Considering there are many LED manufacturers in CN, this is really a huge business, whereas Lumileds cannot possibly match.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

mags: lumileds makes those highflux spider leds. other companies besides nichia produce 5mm/3mm leds. Nichia just came out with bright blue powerfull leds one day, then everyone else followed too of course.

wintermute

Enlightened

Wow...I didn't know there was a LEDs Magazine!