made my first MOD?

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.
I made what I believe is my first mod, but still I would like some advice. I took a 2AA maglite and adapted a luxeon emitter, batwing, red-orange with about 40 lums. I took the LUX and adapted it with 2 pins so that it would fit the flashlight, i glued the LUX to a small base that I made so that the 2 pins wouldn't touch each other. when I turned it on I encountered two problems. the first one is that the heat produced by the lux is too much and I can only have it on for 5 min, I don't know if this has to do with the fact that I didn't use a resistor. the other thing is the beam, it is to wide and would like to get it more on the spot, I want a tighter beam.
I would really appreciate any advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>flashniac said
>I encountered two problems.
> the first one is that the heat produced by the lux is too much and I
> can only have it on for 5 min, I don't know if this has to do with
>the fact that I didn't use a resistor.

Acording to Luxeon at:

http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=281&link_str=189::190&partno=LXHL-DH01

a red-orange is designed to run at 2.95 volts. Runing it at 3.00 doesn't sound like much of a problem. All of these Luxeons run hot. If they get too hot they can overheat and die. You might want to see if you can get a heatsink in there, wick some of that heat off.

>the other thing is the beam, it
>is to wide and would like to get it more on the spot, I want a tighter
> beam. I would really appreciate any advice.

What kind of reflector does it have? The Fraen people have a variety of lenses for luxeons, some of them may be narrower focus than what you have now.