"SF going the extra distance" design change of the KL1

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my second order of KL1s from Stategos and they're slightly different.
The positive battery contact housing used to be dome shaped and slightly recessed -- now it's cylindrical and very slightly extends past the head.
And the contact itself is now sort of pointy.
So pointy that is actually fits inside the vent hole of one of my Energizer 123s and doesn't actually make contact.
Most of the other 123 batteries have their vent holes on the side of the teminal rather than the center so it probably won't be a huge issue but I still think someone was asleep at the wheel when they made this change.

They also look rushed.
Tiny drops of epoxy (I'm guessing) are clearly visible in the slot where the lens retainer screws onto the bezel.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by GJW:
Since it seemed to be a huge issue to some I'll also say that the beams are much whiter than my last two.
They look blue against the well-lit dirty yellow walls of my office but in the pitch black of the darkened bathroom they are the whitest Luxeons I own.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Greg,

What about brightness?

Brightnorm

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here is what KL-1 #A00348 looks like. Is this what you mean by new style?

kl1-5.jpg
kl1-6.jpg

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...Mine has part of the rubber gasket sticking out where the head pieces were pressed together.

--dan

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Roy:
Here is what KL-1 #A00348 looks like. Is this what you mean by new style?

kl1-5.jpg
kl1-6.jpg
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that is the old style. the new one has a lip on the edge of the black plastic piece.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dano:
Hmmm...Mine has part of the rubber gasket sticking out where the head pieces were pressed together.

--dan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mine too, and I have drops of epoxy on mine.

Maybe I got a second!
grin.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do I get the feeling that Peter Gransee will be chuckling when he reads about this?
grin.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it seemed to be a huge issue to some I'll also say that the beams are much whiter than my last two.
They look blue against the well-lit dirty yellow walls of my office but in the pitch black of the darkened bathroom they are the whitest Luxeons I own.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
...and serial number. Would like to see if this difference follows some sort of number sequence.

Latest posts