HDS EDC 60 GT vs. Nuwai Q-III

SchaqFu

Newly Enlightened
Hey Friends: Can someone compare the HDS EDC 60 GT (or non-GT) to the Nuwai Q-III? I've got the latter, and am interested in getting the former, but only if it's smaller, brighter, better... etc.

Specifically interested in a comparison of the following:

- Brightness
- Throw (and spill)
- Size (is the EDC 60 actually small enough to carry on a keychain or is that a stretch?)
- Lux1 (HDS) versus Lux3 (Nuwai): does this make a difference at all?
- Battery runtime

I know HDS reviews are few and far between because they just started shipping, but I'm totally intrigued. The Q-III is appealing because it totally outperforms its $40 price class, but if the EDC 60 GT is significantly brighter and at least somewhat smaller then I would be willing to invest.

Thanks!
-SchaqFu

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the comparison is somewhat off. both are 123,LUX III, but HDS is at top of the EDC food chain, the QIII is a great value, but looking at the LED museum, the beam is brighter, better (imho) the operation is different, HDS having many levels of light, HA-III, and hand picked tint's.
Both great light's but 40 buck's for a Q-III is a value, and the HDS is a no compromise, versatile light.
there just very different in approach. VDG

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a post that the HDS has a tight beam ( throw ).
This can be good/bad depending on requirements.
Agree the QIII is great value and soon there will be a two way switch mod available, as well as the ease of changing bins on the Lux III. If you can solder, you can replace the star on a QIII.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy a light knowing it's strength's and weakness's.

The HDS and Q-III are so differrent, to "mod" a Q-III to what a HDS can do really defeat's the whole reason the Q-III is such a great bank for the buck.
The beam is tight, But with a reflector, it's up close use esp with the minimum level on, will be just as useful.
As we say on CPF buy both!
But I still stand on my first post, these are two different to pit against each other.VDG

SchaqFu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. Actually, the fact that they are two very different approaches is exactly why I'm interested in comparing them. What I want is a kick-*** EDC light. When it comes right down to it, they're both EDCs, and both kick *** in their own way. The real question for me is whether there is enough difference between them to warrant moving from one to the other. The other reason I'm interested in the comparison is that I have one in hand right now, so when someone tells me the HDS is smaller, I'll know what they mean.

Is HDS a lux 3? I didn't think so. Is its max output a whole heck of a lot brighter than the Nuwai's, or is the difference marginal/imperceptable?

I know and love all the great features (at least on paper) of the HDS, but when it comes right down to it I just want it to be smaller and brighter than what I've got now. Is it? I don't think it's an unreasonable comparison as long as we all understand that they're both in different price classes.

Thanks for any feedback.
-SchaqFu

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isnt it a bit unfair comparing the two? I mean, the HDS is at the moment the top of the line with LED lighting technology and has all that complicated settings and stuff. It was designed to be able to be used almost anywhere. The Q III might be moddable to use a 2 stage, but that cant beat like 6 stages (?) on the HDS. I mean, you have to mod the Q III to have the 2 stage which is still not a worthy competitor to the capabilities of the HDS. I am not saying that the QIII sucks or anything. The Q III is an excellent light. It has great ratings here. Its just that its not as advanced as the HDS. We all love pie right? Well, the Q III is that pie. The HDS is the pie that comes with an automatic feeding spoon.

code09

Enlightened
Maybe what he really meant was the comparison between brightness and throw. Not the features of high/low setting etc etc...
This is an interesting thread, i wanna see how it turns out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightness, throw, weight, form-factor.....
They seem very comparable indeed.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Craig indicates on his site that HDS 60 = 1,213,000mcd and the QIII = 658,000mcd.

HDS 60 @ 12"
hds60-3.jpg

QIII @ 12"
q3-3.jpg

Any comments Craig?

-john

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the 60 HDS goes, i thought i heard 3W. It was a 3W? is it 1?
I can't see a 1 being able to get close to 60 lumen's, But i have been wrong before.VDG

SchaqFu

Newly Enlightened
Isn't a Lux3 just a better-engineered Lux1 that can handle more current, and not actually a "3-watt" LED? I keep looking on the HDS website for an indication of whether it's a Lux1 or Lux3, and the only thing I see mention of is that it's a high dome, whereas the Nuwai QIII clearly states that it has a Lux3. So:

Is HDS EDC 60 a Luxeon 3?

and...

If it's not, does that make a difference at these output levels?

Thanks,
-SchaqFu

HID

Newly Enlightened
SchaqFu,

All of the HDS EDC's have 3 watt luxeons. Henry, that maker stated that on the HDS thread in the Manufacturers Corner. Sorry I don't know how to put a link to it hear, but if you search you can find it. I believe he said that it was mainly since the tint is better when using a 3w at these power levels.

Hope that helps.

lightthis

Newly Enlightened
Re: HDS EDC 60 GT

Not precisely on subject here but, does anyone know if the EDCs can be bought anywhere other than at HDS?
Thanks

CESDewar

Newly Enlightened
First of all there's quite a big difference in brightness between a Nuwaii QIII with a 3.1v C123 vs. a 4.1v 123 rechargeable - the latter putting out a noticeably brighter beam for a very respectable time. Not sure yet how the HDS responds to those higher voltage rechargeables. But I would be quite surprised if the HDS was significantly brighter than a QIII with a fresh rechargeable.

Second, based on web-page specs, the HDS is 1" diameter for its full length (except for a narrow band, while the Q3 is only 3/4" wide for about 2.25" and 1" wide (and long) at the bezel, so although the HDS is a bit shorter, it might not actually "feel" smaller (and if anything it's a few grams heavier). I think the big plus on the HDS is the programmable light levels - one thing I like about my Pila flashlights is the ability to use a low light level LED which is adequate to get across a room at night, thereby preserving battery life for when I need the full brightness, so the HDS would give you this same capability and therefore result in substantially longer battery life in practical usage. But as others have mentioned, the QIII definitely wins in the "bang-for-your-buck" department (there are some magnificent $100 Cabernets - but are they really FIVE times better than a good $20 cabernet? Only a real aficionado with a surfeit of $'s would say yes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

SchaqFu

Newly Enlightened
THAT is an excellent comparison. Thanks, CESD. I love CPF, but I have to say that the 'snobbery' is a little off-putting. It seems like thread after thread is filled with comments saying "you can't compare the Nuwai to...; the Nuwai is so much cheaper." Or the electronics are less advanced. Man, I love being an afficionado of things and I completely understand why people do it. In fact, I just placed my order for the HDS EDC 60 GT just because I like the elegance of it. But it costs $150 more than my Q-III. Do I think I'm getting $150-worth of additional product? Absolutely not, not by a longshot.

CPF would do well if more users would approach reviews with slightly more humility and not label certain lights ineligible for comparison. Just my humble opinion.

SchaqFu

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone compare the brightness of the Q-III on rechargable R123s to the HDS? The beamshots, above, from LED Museum are excellent, but I'd be interested in seeing how much closer the rechargables bring the Q-III to the HDS.

Thanks,
SchaqFu

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SchaqFu said:
Can anyone compare the brightness of the Q-III on rechargable R123s to the HDS? The beamshots, above, from LED Museum are excellent, but I'd be interested in seeing how much closer the rechargables bring the Q-III to the HDS.

Thanks,
SchaqFu

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get these kind of comparison's. i see each light
as a top contender for it's particular niche.
I can rework a Honda civic's engine in two afternoon's
to have more HP then a BMW Z3, and faster 0-60 time's.
doesn't really change the fact it's not gonna handle, brake and corner like a stock Z3.
Nuwai can make a multi level, HA-III, smaller,
hand picked binn's, brighter light i am sure. and i love mod idea's, i love my Q-III, But even if it is as bright as a HDS with a li ion, it's no longer the light it is.
But brightness doesn't make the HDS what it is, it's that and many other factor's.
IMHO, I think it's unfair to both companies to compare two different approch's to making there light's. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SchaqFu said:
THAT is an excellent comparison. Thanks, CESD. I love CPF, but I have to say that the 'snobbery' is a little off-putting. It seems like thread after thread is filled with comments saying "you can't compare the Nuwai to...; the Nuwai is so much cheaper." Or the electronics are less advanced. Man, I love being an afficionado of things and I completely understand why people do it. In fact, I just placed my order for the HDS EDC 60 GT just because I like the elegance of it. But it costs $150 more than my Q-III. Do I think I'm getting $150-worth of additional product? Absolutely not, not by a longshot.

CPF would do well if more users would approach reviews with slightly more humility and not label certain lights ineligible for comparison. Just my humble opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point (and in a way related to my above post) MY EDC at the moment is a E1e, the few times i have mentioned that
I alway's get a "try so and so's mod and that will be a great light insted of a weeny SF E1e". Hell i love the E1e! work's well indoor's, outdoor's, small, has a great throw for checking the pit bull across my street, basically just enough light anywhere for 90% of what i do. I got a magcharger for turning up the wick, and a E2d and
Q-III ,and ARC LSH-P for the middle ground. Many other's i want, and will get, but I really love the sublime ideal of using only what's needed and no more. VDG

Latest posts