Going to Hong Kong - What should I buy??

Sprout

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to Hong Kong and Macau for a few days next week and I'd like to buy something bright and small while I'm there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can anybody suggest where I could go to buy some of the small Luxeon flash lights which seem to be made over there? Also, anything else bright, like HID lights or lasers are interesting too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks!

Mark.

guncollector

Enlightened
The area around Mong Kok (Kowloon side) is known as a sort of "high-tech bazaar". You'll find lots of electronics, computer stuff, and probably flashlights there.

It is unlikely you'll find any of the actual "led-light making factories" in Hong Kong proper. Undoubtedly, all of the manufacturing facilities for these types of lights are in the New Territories or on the China mainland itself.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Hong Kong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Apliu Street is the place you want to go for all things electronic or mechanical. You can find quite a lot of cheap "made in china" flashlights, including some with Luxeons here. If you're looking for HID, the only one I've seen is the UK Light Cannon. There are also stores here selling red lasers, but only one I know that sells green lasers.

For other stuff, there are also cheap Panasonic CR123s available here (about HK$6.50 each or cheaper if you buy many) as well as rechargable Nimh/Nimh, unprotected Li-ion cells, etc. All the tools you've ever dreamt off are also available here. The cheaper stores are the stalls lined up on the street, not the shops on each side of the street. However, the shops may have a better selection, depending on what you want to buy. The stalls on the street don't have fixed pricing, so the trick here is to bargain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yes, this place also has lots of mobile phone shops with probably the widest variety of GSM phones in the world. Prices are also quite reasonable, so you may want to do some shopping for a phone here if you're going to buy one anyway.

To get there, take the MTR (subway) to SHAM SHUI PO Station and get out at Exit C2 or Exit A2, and Apliu street will be the cross street right in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PM me if you need more info or want to meet up.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened
What gregw said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But just a friendly suggestion, when shopping for lights, beware of the Luxeon imitation(which looks similar to lux from the outside, but hardly perform as well). The street hawkers would tell you it is a 3 watt, 5 watt...lights, but it really don't mean much if it is Luxeon imitation underperforming. Bring along a good LED light that you know well and do some comparison.

Also, the cell phone selection is definitely excellent(variety is way better than normal US cell phone carrier, AT&T, Bell...); but do purchase the spare battery from more well-known authorized dealer(such as Fortress, Boardway...) since there are reported incidents of cell battery explosion/heating up in China/Hong Kong where buyer got the 'imitation' without knowing.

I am sure you know probably have known all this, and enjoy your stay in HK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
Our friend is coming from the home of Nokia, I don't think he need any cell phone here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Sprout

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll definately go to Apliu Street - Thanks for the directions Greg! Is this in the Mong Kok area?

I'll have a good look around and see what I can find
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Any guide as to how far you can haggle - Actually I'll probably find this out for myself.

I don't really need any cell phones, as I get one from work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll still have a look at them though.

I noticed in your profile, Greg, that you're into helicopters, and these are another thing I 'm interested in, so can I find them in Apliu Street too??

Thanks again!

Mark.

AW

Newly Enlightened
There are quite a few battery operated ( Li Poly ) RC choppers in Apliu Street. The 6 channel one sells for about $200 which I think is a very good price.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find some cheap "made in china" RC helicopters and planes at Apliu street as well.. However, I can't vouch for the quality or the availability of spare parts though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My current helis are a Lite Machines Corona and a Mikado Logo 10.

BTW, Mong Kok is only two stops away from Sham Shui Po. For a map of the MTR System, click here.

Latest posts