whats the brightest led flashlight i can get?

ubermensch

Enlightened
You need to be a little more specific--you *could* have a custom light built with as many LEDs on it as you want, to be as bright as you want. However, if you mean a commercially produced light, any Luxeon V Surefire light will do.

cy

Flashaholic
Barbolight U-09 will putout way more lumens than U2. Even my high bin U2 is no match.

MR-X X3T will destroy U-09. both U-09 and MRX are in Surefire M6 lola range.

For a production light not a mod. U-09 may possibly have the most putput. There are a few M*g mods with 3 or more 5watts that will smoke U-09.

m6 shootout.JPG

LightScene

Enlightened
If you want a more meaningful answer to your question, we need to know 2 things.
How big can it be?
How much are you willing to spend.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Hey I'm in the market for the beefiest LED out there too for at around 100.00, if theres one a little more and it's worth it I'd go for it. Put it this way, I can afford the most expensive Surefire short of the Beast but I just can't justify spending three to four hundred on a flashlight. Plus my wife is very hip to boy toys, her father was a welder and machinist, when she picked up my Pelican M6 LED after I got it she commented on the quality and nice finish. When she asked how much I paid for the last gun I bought and I told her a hundred dollars she just laughed in that, what do you think I'm an idiot?! way. Size wize I'd like nothing larger than the size of a 4 D mag. I have a 6 cell mag that I thought about converting to LED but at that point size wize I'll just grab my Thor.

Thanks..

paulr

Flashaholic
The brighest semi-production led flashlight I know of is the Inretech Mega6 which uses six Luxeon 5 watt leds, 30 watts total, in a Mag 6D body. I think it's around $300.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
VT, Yes I have been eyeballing that light, in my research here though I have read some bad reviews regarding quality control with the finish. I guess I could live with a scratch or two but generaly like to put those first few on myself. As long as it has some good throw, I'm one of those guys who likes to light things up real far away, plus the bottom line is, the tighter and better throw is more blinding ability at close range for unruly individuals. The TSP also seems to be small enough to use with a pistol, am I correct on this? Another light I was just reading up on is the 5 watt luxeon from Nuwaii with 3 power levels? on goldengadgets.com

Troll

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want to mount the light on a pistol, you really have to think about the light's shock resistance. Nuwai's aren't intended for anything like that. Get a tactical light made for the purpose.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
I'm not talking about mounting it, there are a couple of methods of carrying the light in the non-pistol hand to the side or under the pistol hand.

Troll

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Barbolight is quite powerful and designed tough from the ground up. Electrolumens offers the "quad", which is 4 x Lux III IIFC. I believe it is based on a m@ body.

Both require thought in the battery supply section to provide sufficient current and actually reach their true potential. For example, pulling 2 amps from alkaline D cells is a marginal situation.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
At three hundred bucks the Barbolight is out. As of right now it's between the Nuwai 5 watt, Tristar Phazer and the 3X3 Turbo from EL. If I am not mistaken the 3X3 has a bit tighter and better throw than the TSP.

Troll

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Futher searching has turned up the Tektite Tac12L at 240+ lumens being pushed by 4 CR123's. It's not the sexiest light but if it'll throw 240+ lumens into a tight spot down range I'd be happy. The only advatage the EL TSP or Turbo 3x3 still has is the use of D or C batteries, this is a plus if I'm ever in a jam on a hunting trip where there is only a small town store near the hunting grounds.

Troll

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, it seems like every time I need a lot of light, I end up grabbing my Tristar Phaser. It doesn't out-throw my Blaster 3P, but man it puts put the light! I also have a SF Centurion C3 with a P91 HOLA in it at 200 lumens, but the low cost and easy availability of C cells and the long runtime is definitely a plus for the TSP.

Mike

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
My favorite is the TSP. It is very bright and can run off rechargeable C batteries. I use mine every night to walk the dog and I just switch out the batteries about once a week. The 3X3 Turbo from EL looks nice and I am sure the finish would be nicer. I would choose the TSP or 3x3 Turbo. I prefer rechargeable C batteries since they are much cheaper than D's.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked that picture. Pretty dramatic, huh?

Here is a picture of my MicroMag Sniper taken from almost the same position. The sun was just setting when I took the picture so you see more of the background. The intensity of the hot spot in Sniper is actually brighter than the the TSP but as you can see the spill light is considerably less. If you held the two lights next to each other the crowd would say the TSP is brighter.

The TSP is hard to beat. It is good.

micromag_sniper.jpg

Edit: For the fun of it I added a larger version of the TSP picture that is on the ElektroLumens web site.

TSP_big.jpg