CMG Ultra underated!

SuRgE

Enlightened
Hello,

I have concluded my opinion on my Ultra vs AAA LE vs Photon 3 regarding runtime and brightness.

I did run times with fresh energizes and new panosonic coin batteries for the Photon.

Brightness at all intervals goes to the Ultra easily. The AAA le was bright til 7 hours and then moon mode kicked in. Moon mode is pretty dim. The Ultra was always brighter than the other two and started to really dim around 12 hours but had about twice the output of the LE moon mode for another 10 hours. The Photon is only good for the first 5 minutes then dims. I will be taking the Ultra camping as my backup!

I tested two samples of each light and had similar results.

I love the AAA le's finish and I understand its alot smaller than the Ultra but IMHO it doesn't compare to the Ultra in brightness or runtime.

I had my wife look at the beams at each 2 hour interval and she picked the Ultra beam everytime.

They both are built like tanks but the only advantage I see that the ARC has is size and a more scratch resistant finish.

Now I'm an ARc fan also, but I have to say I don't understand all the hype. If I didn't have an Ultra to compare it to I would understand the hype but I did have an ultra. And for half the price its the light I will reccomend of the two.

See ya,

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
SuRgE I have to agree with most of your points but I edc both. I'll lend out my Ultra but not the LE. I think the Arc is a better quality light and feels nicer in my hand. I have plastic tubing for bite pads on both and the Arc fits much better. Pardon the graphic picture but there is less slobber factor with the Arc also. From TTS the Ultra and standard Arc are $4 different. I'd recomend get both
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only owned my Ultra about 2 days & am getting more & more impressed with it. But it will never take the place of my 5 ARC's. It's a very nice light & I highly recomend it. But the ARC is a really fine light. Get the Ultra after you own 2-3 ARC's. TX

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Originally posted by txwest:
I've only owned my Ultra about 2 days & am getting more & more impressed with it. But it will never take the place of my 5 ARC's. It's a very nice light & I highly recomend it. But the ARC is a really fine light. Get the Ultra after you own 2-3 ARC's. TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">txwest the Ultra is good but it doesn't take 5 Arcs to equal it
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surge, was that Energizer and Alkaline for AA and AAA??? Or was it Energizer Lithium AA and Energizer Alkaline AAA???

I won't get an Arc AAA, simply because it is AAA. I have both an Infinity and an Ultra. For plain survival usage where every milliamp counts, I'll take the regular Infinity over anything else. I agree that the Ultra is under rated, and it is a very good light.

SuRgE

Enlightened
CB,

I used regular alkalines for both. If your concern is "every milliamp count" then theres no way you would be happy with the ARc AAA compared to the Infinitiy. Although, I would buy at least one Arc AAA because the ary really small and put out alot of light for their size.

I haven't ran a test with the lithiums yet; thats next.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
The ultra is my camping backup/quick access light too. Mainly for the fact that I try to keep all my battery powered gear AA battery size. My main source of light comes from a Streamlight 4AA LED light (until I find a suitable headlamp).

Darell

Flashaholic
I have a Ultra-G and a standard Ultra. They have the same finish. If it is HAIII, it isn't anything as good as what I'm used to (Arc and Surefire). I'm convinced that these two lights are identical save the accessories, the engraving and the price.

Can anybody prove otherwise?

freeze12

Enlightened
I purchased My "Ultra-G" from Frank @ "County Com" & I have to say... This is one heck of a great light! I had the thing on steady with a "Ray O Vac Renewal" freshly charged battery & this sucker was still pumping uasable light after 24 hour's!!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not questioning the Arc AAA's brightness or quality. It's just that I try to stay away from AAAs for my lights. Speaking of runtimes, I got a Brinkmann Legend LX the other day and I know that is very short on runtime.
wink.gif

For me, a plain survival situation, is no way to get batteries for a long time and the lights are needed for after dark. That is where I go for maximum runtime over brightness for primary lights.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, kinda bummed to hear that. Just got a Ultra from Darkgear recently and love the darn little thing. Waiting to see if I win an auction for an Arc right now. Kinda wondering if I shouldn't have bothered. Oh well, when in doubt, follow the CPF motto, "Get Both!".

Light-Headed

Enlightened
From what I hear, they are both great little lights and both have their pluses and minuses. Probably couldn't go wrong with either one of them.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light-Head,
The more acceptable phrase here on CPF is "Probably couldn't go wrong with both of them". TX

Light-Headed

Enlightened
You are correct TX........I stand corrected......just got in from the bars when I wrote that, so I wasn't in my right mind.
grin.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by txwest:
Light-Head,
The more acceptable phrase here on CPF is "Probably couldn't go wrong with both of them". TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well rest assured I will have both. Was contacted by another member who has a used one he's willin' to part with. So now I will have one of each to compare. I could see the Arc for EDC due to size, but I really like the Ultra's fit and finish. Very durable, I got a thing for mil-spec ya know. I also like the pocket clip that came with it.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Minjin, thanks for the link in this thread. I have an Ultra G on the way now. I have the regular ARC "AAA" in my pocket, an "AAA" LE comming tomorrow and the Ultra G soon. Can't wait to line them up and see. I purchased the Ultra G to keep in the console of my Jeep more than EDC at this point.