Why are pelican reflectors special?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always hear that pelican reflectors have something special about them. What is it? Are they as good as SF reflectors? which I hear are actually very high quality. Must be why they are so $$... anyway, why are they so special?
Also, when they say "Bead blasted" do they actually blast the reflector with hard metal beads or something to give it it's texture?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
I always hear that pelican reflectors have something special about them. What is it? Are they as good as SF reflectors? which I hear are actually very high quality. Must be why they are so $$... anyway, why are they so special?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think ALL Pelican reflectors are great.

But, the M6 reflector is very good to excellent. On the LED model (M6 LED), the reflector gives good spot AND flood, and has absolutely perfect beam quality IMO--better than some of the Surefire models (my P90s in my 3-Cell Surefires for example have lots of artifacts). No artifacts in any of my PM6 LEDs though. The incandescent M6 has very good beam quality, but not quiet as good as the LED version IMO. The M6 reflectors (especially in the LED model) are not quiet as effective as Surefire reflectors at giving the perfect combination of spot to flood, but they still do a very good job of balancing spot to flood.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's simply a matter of shape and texture. It doesn't "look" that much different from others but just manages to work well.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The "special" one is the PM6 reflector, as already pointed out.

It is special, because it was the first reflector that we could use that made an almost perfect beam with a LED and was able to deliver substantial throw that could defeat an incan in a package of the same size. It was the beginning of it all for LED reflectors on CPF.
Well ... after the McFlood, but this one isn't a tool for the masses anyway.

bernhard

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back when...IIRC Pelican & SF might have been the only two mfgs. to produce LAs. Apologies to others I'm unaware of. For the $$, Pelicans THROW & SFs, should, have almost perfect beams.

Although I sold Streamlights in the 1980's I think highly of & have purchased seven different Peli's and like their polymer's durability.