KL1 vs. KL4 in an E1E

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soon, I will be receiving a TW4 combo: E1E + KL4 (and tail clicky). I was told this particular light I bought has a very white light. I'm going to use an R123 battery in it for maximum brightness.

I have a couple of questions. Would it be worth it to also get a 3W KL1. I hear it has more throw but how much more can it really have over the 5W KL5? Can the throw of the KL4 be increased by swapping reflectors/optics with the KL1?

What makes a Luxeon III have more throw than a Luxeon V?

Once I get this light, will I really care after seeing the KL4 in action?

I'm not going to a 2-cell version either. I want this to remain an E1E.

oldeng95

Enlightened
I just got my Kl4 back from surefire, brand new, pure white, its fine off of the KB1, 1 cr123, but off 2 cr123s it is fricking amazing, close to the U2, but not that close.
BTW dont bother modding the KL4. and there are 3 watts that can out through the L5; at over 1 amp
Paul

rikvee

Enlightened
- the size/shape of the 5W seems to make it harder to position in the focal point of the reflector, causing 'doughnut' holes and a wider beam
- the KL4 is my favorite LED light, because it fits so many battery configurations
- for throw, and considerable more power, go incandescent or look at McGizmo's Aleph 1 or 3, (heads that fit the E1e) with 3W Luxeons and modern converters like the Nexgen
- custom-built converter/emitter ('lightengine') combos can be selected to be even whiter than the average Surefire heads

baram

Newly Enlightened
I heard that it's because the led chip sizes are different. As you know, 5W led chip is made with 4 X 1W led chips.
So it's bigger than 3W led chip in size and actually makes more lumens than 3W leds.

Though big chip makes more lights but, everyone says "the smaller chip have advantage in throw in comparison with big one. But I don't know why...

cy

Flashaholic
KL4 E1E w/Mc2S R123 li-ion is one amazing combo!!!! note inclusion of two stage and R123 li-ion in this pkg.

1x 123 format, main advantage of Kl1 (new, 3watt) over KL4 (5watt) is runtime w/more useable beam. 15-25+ lumens for KL1 (luxeon lottery)

1x 123 formt, advantage of KL4 is highest lumens/cubic inch for production lights. depending upon luxeon 65-100+ lumens.

disadvantages are: KL4 is too bright for most closeup work. Not much runtime w/ 1x CR123. some KL4 may not light up w/1x CR123 (luxeon lottory)

Using R123 li-ion takes care of runtime and light up problems w/1x 123 format. KL4 w/ McE2s two stage switch gives many hours of runtime on low. w/ excellent beam for closeup work. customize low level by chosing resistor w/McE2S.

This is currently my favorite small 5watt light. It's slowly replacing U2 as my EDC. modded w/high bin luxeon, my KL4 e2e puts out 100+ lumens (close to Xbin output) note tritium tube in clip by Mut.

Now if I can just figure how to attach a clip for bezel down carry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kl4 kl1.JPG

scuba

Enlightened
Nice pic cy! Could you use R123 li-ion in that Aleph as well or do you really need the E1e body for that?

AlecGold

Enlightened
wow, a KL4 to an E1e, I've never thought about it. Now i use the E1e KL1 for running and it works very nice, nice broad beam, (it's an oldie) and it is light and has a good runtime. but a R123 and a KL1 seems to me like a very nice thing.

cy

Flashaholic
R123 li-ion in all it's variations is safe to use in most single 1x 123 applications. current thinking is don't use 4.2v cells with Hbin lux's. Although I've been running R123 w/MM+ R2H for some time with no problems.

Aleph's LE is BB750 TWOJ which running great w/R123 bare cell. Protected R123 are prefered, but I got most of my R123 before protected were available.

S2K's 650 mah R123 has given the best performance of any R123. It burns so long in KL4, I'm thinking capacity is actually 750 mah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For single cell applications bare li-ion is safe, so long as you there is no possible dead short dangers. Don't ever use multi-cell bare li-ion without protected cells!!!

lot's of info posted about using li-ion. read before using.

kl4 x4t.JPG