We aren't geeks are we.

nexro

Enlightened
Re: We aren\'t geeks are we.

According to http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=geeks,
a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

Neither of these describe us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I would rather say that we are a community with a common interest.
Just my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Imma geek. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

DaGeek

Enlightened

I guess I am to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

A year or so ago at work a guy called me a geek in front of the General Manager. The General Manager then said, "If Dave's a geek that must embarrass the hell out of you." The guy asked why and the GM said, "Because that geek can kick your ***."

We all had a big laugh.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

No way. We just have hobbies. I mean, I saw some people who collect even stranger things. Mr Burly, I was searching for other flashlight forums just in case I had the chance to recruit members, when I found a post on a camera forum. WOW. I saw you there. you were a new member and your name was "JohnSidneyB". You were discussing something about R123's uses in cameras or something... sorry for the offtopic.

guncollector

Enlightened

I think "geek" has lost alot of the stigma it once carried--as geeks of the Dot-com era retired in their mid-20's, bought the cars we all lust for, and married the trophy-wives that would've made Gordon Gecko donate to charity.

But, then again, it does carry a certain applicability. If/when I start talking "led", "incandescent", "luxeon", "bins", "stepdown", etc. with the hoi polloi, I am in a way becoming--by necessity--socially inept!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
A year or so ago at work a guy called me a geek in front of the General Manager. The General Manager then said, "If Dave's a geek that must embarrass the hell out of you." The guy asked why and the GM said, "Because that geek can kick your ***."

We all had a big laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT line!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
guncollector said:
I think "geek" has lost alot of the stigma it once carried--as geeks of the Dot-com era retired in their mid-20's, bought the cars we all lust for, and married the trophy-wives that would've made Gordon Gecko donate to charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Since virtually every business runs on computers in some way or another, and since the 'net has become such a vital portion of our telecommunications fabric, those who have a particularly strong focus on technology take on an increasingly important role in designing and maintaining that infrastructure, in spite of whether they're compensated adequately for it. So it's much cooler to be a geek than it used to be.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I just like going against the grain with my hobby. Everyone appreciates my hobby say in a power outage or when camping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I collect used up old insulaters that were once used for telegraph, tephone, and power lines.
Definitely something the average person does not collect, let alone even pay attention to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I also collect used up old ghetto blasters, but I don't have enough of a collection to make a website for yet.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

We at the CPF are into lighting technology for one reason, another, or more. Lighting is such a powerful tool in the darkness. It makes one feel powerful, secure, "scientific"...I'm running out of adjectives, it assists us in our lives...you know what I mean.

I hate cheaply made tools...with lighting, one can experience and appreciate a finely made instrument. We recognize the "finer aspects of light, color, durability, throw, spill, build, etc".

Ok...enough babble, I think we are indeed a "morph" between geeks, scientists, hobbyists, collectors, with a little obsessive-compulsiveness thrown in perhaps?

S4MadMan

Enlightened

OK, so I'm just a N3RD! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wwglen

Enlightened

This is my undersdtanding:

Waht is the difference between a geek and a nerd?

Answer:

A geek nows what he is and is PROUD of it.
A nerd thiks he is just a normal type of guy.

If you need to ask... You are NOT a\GEEK but probably a Nerd.

wwglen.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

I am not a geek...

When I knock my lights off the shelf, I am not being clumsy or inept... I am "endurance testing"...

I am not single minded, I have HID, LED, and incandescent lights...

I am not socially inept, I post in the Cafe, and most of the time, am understood (at least tolerated...).

I just think of myself as being "Enlightened." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well said d'mo. That was also my thought as I was scrolling down this thread.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

Well allmost every time I talk to females I get called a "geek","nerd" or just "in need of help"

So I am a geek!
I even got exited when I whent to Cabela's and found a SureFire L4 Lumamax in the "bargian cave" for 86 bucks!! The box is banged up but the flashlight is perfect! So I am defently a Geek!

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I collect used up old insulaters that were once used for telegraph, tephone, and power lines.
Definitely something the average person does not collect, let alone even pay attention to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I also collect used up old ghetto blasters, but I don't have enough of a collection to make a website for yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ghetto blasters ? Now that's a term I have not heard in years! I did not know any one collected them, any speceific type you look for?
Most are not built to last but there are a few that I would not mind finding, one of Sony's early models with a cd player is on My list, it was red and I belive had detachable cube speakers. The only one I saw was a customers and I repaired it. it dates from about 1986 if memory serves, I too some times collect telegraph inulators, My collection is sad, my best one is a Whitall Tatum kind and it's a purple/amythist colored glass.
Yup we are geeks, there is no denying the truth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I'll answer to either "geek" or "nerd." At times I've been called obsessive about certain technical topics, but I think that's just another term for "passionate." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif