Invent this, do you miss it?

Wylie

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
I thought I would chime in again and see what you folks think of what has happened to TechTV? I am not much of a gamer or cartoon fan so it has really just gone to pot for me. :sad:
Go figure, I get the dish hook up and now the channel isn't even worth watching unless I feel like watching some robots beat the crap out of each other.
What really bums me down is that I was supposed to have something I build featured on Invent This and the merger has nixed the program all together.
I do admit to being a bit of a pest on the G4 TechTV forum that now doesn't even include an Invent This area. To be completely honest I do think my suggestions would have brought about a programming that would have been much worth while and far from the norm.
Pitting new products against possible sponcors products could have been considered a conflict of interest I guess but would have made for interesting boob tube for me.

Okay so I'm bias. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm sorry to hear that your invention never made it onto TechTv. That USED to be my favorite channel until the new owners trashed it in the name of young demographics. "Invent This" was my second favorite program next to The Screen Savers, before they fired Leo and Patrick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

If I recall, "Invent This" wasn't produced by Tech TV; it was made by some other company and sold to them. If I was the producer, I'd be shopping the show to Discovery Networks, PBS and the like. There's still a market for this stuff; it's just not the market that the G4 folks are pursuing any more.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too use to be a fan of the screen savers, invent this when I could fnd it and hate the teen or preteen direction its headed. Ohwell, tlc went clear of junkward wars to just make overs and the discovery channel seems hog crazy with shows on building bikes instead of the past shows of biggest or smallest stuff ever made.

One reason I am a seasonial subscriber to cable.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hate tech tv since they got rid of leo laporte man im so mad they did that he was so good i never even realy used a pc before i saw the show no i can build them easly leo taught me so much the new host suck.the channlel sucks now

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hey Raggie, I'm with ya. Leo LaPorte is a PC guru and was the best thing that channel ever had. Nowadays I just can't stomach those stupid robot-wars shows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks PhotonWrangler,
I could be in worse shape, my machinist has an uncureable lung illness and from what I hear they may pull the plug on him. He's the best I have seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

At least I know I am not the only one who thinks TechTV has taken the plunge off the deep end. I had only seen a couple programs at friends houses and then I get a dish to find the change has taken place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Such is life.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I used to love watching Leo Laporte! At least we still have his radio show.

I haven't watched TechTV since Screen Savers changed hosts. It sucks now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif They are going for a teen audience I am a teen, but I guess I'm in the minority. I'm sure a lot of teens love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
I used to love watching Leo Laporte! At least we still have his radio show.

I haven't watched TechTV since Screen Savers changed hosts. It sucks now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif They are going for a teen audience I am a teen, but I guess I'm in the minority. I'm sure a lot of teens love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's still doing radio? Cool. I wish he'd syndicate it so I could get it out here. I agree, they're aiming at a teen audience, but the problerm is that they're not putting out anything that's useful for teens in the real world! The world needs more young scientists, not gamers.

I can get the Kim Komando show here, but that show drives me nuts because it's mostly a lot of blather and self-congratulatory hoo-hah with very little hard information in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Hehe, I sometiems listen to Kim Komando too.

You can listen to Leo's show online. Let me find the link.....

EDIT: You can listen to it live and go to the archives and listen to past broadcasts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leo Laporte Radio

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I try to listen to him every saturday when he is on. My only gripe is that the station has like 10 minutes of commercials! Leo talks for like 5 and then they go to 10-15 minutes of commercials. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I'm sure Mr.Laporte has no control over it, but it still bites.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If the show is put on by the station itself then he probably has no control over the commercials, as those would be sold by the stations' sales staff. On the other hand, if he's brokering his own show (where he simply buys a block of airtime from the station and can do as he wants with it), then he and/or his producer would be responsible for the commercials. One of my friends here used to have his own show (brokered) and he really had to hustle to break even.