i cant read

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i can read but if i read long stuff like over 7 paragraphs i get so conffused.i can also read tech manels some reason there easy my mind jusy wanders sometimes its so weird

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like reading never read a full book before.lol playboy ya spell better then me

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, we like you the way you are but if you used a spell checker, you could improve your spelling. It works for me. After one hundred times or so of spell "occasion", "occassion" with the double S, I finally can spell it right the first time.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I used to be an EXCELLENT speller, never had to use the dictionary.

Now that I'm getting older, I need the dictionary or spell checker more and more often!

I can also type fairly fast, though my fingers seem to "get ahead of my brain" quite often and I have to back up to correct their mistakes!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol only spell checker that understands me is google and iot sometimes is confused

nethiker

Enlightened
Your post touched me because I get so much joy out of reading.

There are many possible reason's for your ability to read some things better than others. It could be as simple as needing more practice, or as complex as a symptom of another issue like A.D.D. or developmental reading disorder.

Regardless of the cause, the good news is that through practice, re-learning, or medication; almost everyone has the ability to read well.

If you wish to pursue this further, I would recommend talking with your regular doctor. They can point you in the right direction, even if it is not medically related. The local library should also have some good resources.

I think you have already made a good start with this thread.

Good luck,

Greg.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am slow at reading. 30 pages takes me an hour and even then I have to read it twice or take notes. Even stupid stuff online, humor or news. Man, I use to blame that on the 13 pain killers i use to take, but I quit those a few years ago and the problem still exist. Worse yet is to have a conversation without on the phone or in person and not knowing a thing that was said til a few days later unless I write it down. Nothing freaks out a person more than to take notes on their conversation.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
lol only spell checker that understands me is google and iot sometimes is confused

[/ QUOTE ]

Raggie, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I don't like to read either. I have only read a few fiction books in my life, but I have read hundreds of technical manuals. Unfortunately, in my job I have to read all day long. Now that I only have one eye to read with, I hate it even more. Much of the time, I have to use a big magnifying glass to help me read. That really slows me down.

On the other hand, I take my writing very seriously. Writing is such a precise form of communication that just one misplaced word or punctuation mark can change the whole meaning and intent of what I am trying to say. (How many times have you seen people on this board get mad at each other simply because something was misunderstood?)

When people are face-to-face, they use many forms of communication to get their meaning across: facial expressions, vocal tones, body language, and even physical contact – but with writing all we have are written words and how they are put together. Punctuation is very important; it can change the whole meaning of what is being written.

People really do "read-between-the-lines". They are always trying to imagine the intelligence, and understand the meaning of the writer. (You are doing that right now of me; you can't help it.) So, if I make one small mistake in how I write I stand the chance of either making or losing a friend; or even worse, of being misunderstood. I guess that means that if a person chooses to not like me because of what I have written I can live with that, but I can't stand the thought of being misunderstood. The reader will always form an opinion of me by the way I write. I don't blame them, because I do the same with them - it's natural.

I am so serious about my writing that I will re-read and correct my post many times before I release it to be seen by you or anyone. In fact, I write most of my posts in my word processor. I use the spelling and grammar checker continuously. Finally, I copy that back into my CPF post. Even this post, that you are reading right now, has gone through this lengthy process. Of course this takes a lot of time, but it is really that important to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chuck

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hookd_On_Photons said:
Chuck, play the "punctuation game" here:

http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/

The book is a hoot, if you're a stickler for grammar and punctuation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hookd,

Thanks for the link. I don't have time to go through all of it right now, but I tried a few tests just to have a look. It really proves my point about how punctuation has a big affect on the meaning of a sentence. (It also proves that I still have a lot to learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif.)

Thanks again,

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Santelmo

Enlightened
Always liked reading, RARELY with novels though. Too long and then I get tired and bored. I end-up wishing I had power over reality and hyper-accelerate to the end so I can find out who killed who or how they managed to break the code or the maneuver the guy did to overcome the villain or the that the kid was the one that did it, etc.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can read normally I suppose but when I have to read things like Troy, The Odyssey, and The Illiad (all greek and trojan stuff that takes hours to comprehend.) I want to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I think I'm a decent speller (came in second place my senior year though I intentionally lost to my then girlfriend/future wife... I think the words was brougham but that might not be spelled correctly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) but every once in a while, a word just looks so odd to me... I remember the word was 'bullet' one time. Couldn't remember if it was 'bullet' or 'bullett'.

I don't know... Maybe it was Steve McQueen's fault.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I would not place all the blame on Steve however he more than likely helped with that one.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
I read quite a lot and find myself using different reading techniques depending on the material. If it's technical I'm more likely to take notes, correlate with other reference material, and read portions multiple times. If it's a well written novel, there's no such thing as boredom since each sentence is such a joy (sadly, a rare occurence). With the average beach reading trash novel, I'm not ashamed to pull out all my speed skimming techniques including, in rare instances, the "read a sentence every ten pages" approach just to get to whatever plot the author had in mind and to see if there were at least any good juicy parts without wasting time on the poor writing. At bedtime, I use the "read a paragraph, forget what I just read, re-read it, and give up and go to sleep" technique. Those books last quite a long time.

The bottom line is that all reading is not the same, and that there are skills and techniques involved that one can learn and practice. Don't hesitate to get some help. Find material you enjoy and work out your own techniques to get the most out of it.