Your education, intelligence vs job acquired

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, long story short, sicne i finished high school in 96, been furthering my education to get a job. I use to work in a chrysler shop and machine shop while in high school, but when my disability started toget worse I left those as I could not continue in my position and tried parts stores, etc. No luck. I did manage to help my folks deliver newspapers, but that was it. I then went to a rehab center where after 15 days of being there got a job running not one, but both computer labs. Finished, no job. Tried some telemarketing positions, parts stores, amusement park, etc. No luck. Lived with family for a year or so then tried another rehab center. I stayed there for half a year and got a part time job in the engineering section. I worked that till 911 and attended a community college and got two associate degrees soc science (which is worthless) and a bus admin one. It wasnt til I went to vcu that I got a job offer for telemarketing for a crane company. They even built a ramp for me to get into the office. I wasnt too thrilled over the job, but worked it and looked for another. After a few calls, interviews, I was still working at that crane company. 9 months later that program ended and of all the interviews, calls, etc, the college found me another telemarketing job with inbound calls at a call center.

I have to admit I am a bit confused. Ive met many folks in their fields who knew a fraction of what i know, yet they have that job. Ive met computer techs who do not know what windows explorer is, one guy who was unable to get past the kidy block when you view the windows folder and I am drive around the city by people on the paratransit service who cant read maps, street signs or for that matter names. Nothing like being asked directions to somewhere and being blind not knowing and when back tracking to give street names, corners intersections, they help none at all. Then there are the folks who take me to the last destination they took me too, like my former job than my new one or the community college instead of the university.

I may lack people skills, but I do a pretty good show for interviews, both behavior, problem solving and enjoy filling out those stupid quizzes some employers give. Like cut this shape so it gives you a square or how many feet of wire you can buy for 50 cents if it costs .0125 a foot.

Just wondering. Maybe I should bleach my hair and pretend my head is full of air and see how it goes. I bleached my hair once before and man, nothing like having folks come up to you in parking lots asking about jesus. Maybe with my beard and blond hair i looked like him?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Customer Service? That may fit into my experience, but i have not worked at a customer service desk. Ive searched the big three resume sites, the want ads of the newspaper and now the employment commission. Ive shot off at least 100 resumes. I will give those a try adn see what develops, thanks.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for work has been my second job since the early 1980's. Before that time almost anyone who wanted to work could find a job.

Unfortunately, having a disability can prove to be a significant roadblock for too many well qualified people. I've seen this, too, where a good, but physically challenged employee was let go in favor of an idiot. I've had to supervise these lazy idiots yet I had no say as to who gets hired and fired.

All too often it's a crap shoot and timing or connections is what, sometimes, determines one's employment. It's sad that loyal, dependable, intelligent, experienced people lose their jobs to idiots. The only thing I've learned besides continuing education and trying my best is: DO NOT GIVE UP!

You wouldn't believe how many jobs I've had since 1968 but my current job makes it all worthwhile...now if only I don't get downsized or outsourced again.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
I may lack people skills, but I do a pretty good show......

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to sound crass at all, but maybe you should comcentrate on working on your people skills. Working well with other people will get you farther in most jobs than being proficient at the job itself. There are exceptions, but in the various different jobs I've had this has very often been the case.

I used to be a real "people person", and worked in restaurant management until I got burned out. My people skills have slipped a lot the last 5-10 years, and it shows in the jobs I've held since then. My wife on the other hand is great working with people. She works with computers, but is admittedly poor at math, and I know more about PC's than she does (she works in systems for a large insurance company). She currently is making five times what I make and has a solid career and future.

People skills will get you farther in life and with a career than practically any other skill or education.

-Keith

Greta

Flashaholic
Keith... interesting that you caught that phrase also...

[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
I may lack people skills, but I do a pretty good show......

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same one that jumped out at me too. And like you, I don't mean to sound crass or be insulting but... (you do seem to want some honesty from us)... but maybe that right there is the problem. Potential employers don't want a "show". And they certainly don't want someone who comes across with a chip on their shoulder... which I myself have certainly sensed with this thread and the last one you had going regarding needing a job. Sincerity goes a long way. Sure, you're limited with what you can do due to your disabilities... but you are limiting yourself even further with that "chip" and with your "show".

The key to people skills is YOU. Get to liking yourself for who you are... improve yourself... and you'd be surprised at how the people skills just fall into place. Take it from someone who 3 years ago was a very bitter person who seriously lacked people skills, whose employees cringed every time she had to deal with a customer and who decided it was best she stayed in her back office with the lights off so as not to have to deal with the customers, a person who finally ended up closing her business because of her lack of people skills... and a person who spent some time working on herself and now has a very good job that pays very well... working with the public... and not just the general public but the part of it that contains people who are elderly and sickly and more often than not very bitter and miserable. And I love my job... and I love my customers... and what's even more important, a good many of them love me too. I make them smile... sometimes the only smile they will give all day. I TALK with them... sometimes I'm the only person in their whole day who took the time to talk to them... and listen to them.

I like myself now... I'm not bitter anymore. Sure, it took some time and soul searching to get to this place... but the rewards go so far beyond the monetary... and the monetary ain't too shabby either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You might want to give some sort of yoga a try... a good instructor will guide you to where you need to be to be at peace with yourself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i guess i have like 5th grade education but i hated schoool teacher always talks but i had no idea what they was saying .l

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o my job im a male striper called the ragster .i shacke my grove thing and the ladys go wild

14C

Enlightened
I lost a contract last week because I talked too much I think.

People skills are always necessary and in this case I believe I should have listened more. The interviewer was obviously screening and left several pauses. I filled in the silence thinking thay wanted more information.

I really think this is how I screwed up.

Cobb...being a "people person" is a lot about listening...the right answer will be there for you if you listen to the question and never be afraid to say you don't know but you'll find out. In some cases people let you stumble and fall on your own. Not all HR are like that but a significant percentage of HR people thank their job is to disqualify people for one reason or another rather than to find a good employee.

It is rare but every once in a while you will find someone who looks for a good reason (other than desperation) to hire someone. If you find that person/organization then listen to their needs, research them before you go and do not be afraid to kiss a little butt in an interview. In some cases they want to see how you will represent the company or organization and it might not be a positional requirement.

Best of luck in your search.

junior

Enlightened
Don't feel bad cobb.

I went on a job interview this week on 1.18.05. I had all the education and all the experience they wanted to no avail.

I had to sit and bite my tongue while one interviewer did all she could to discredit all of my experience.

At the end when they asked "if i had any other questions" i asked them how they got involved in the business etc. and they lit up and smiled when i asked that question. But still did not get the job.

I even sent Thank You cards and still no job.

I have a pretty good feeling why i didn't get the job, but thats not important. What's important is that you keep up the good fight.

At first it was very heatbreaking when i did not get the job, for i did a lot to earn the experience i have. But, if it was meant to be i would have gotten the job.

Stay stong cobb and yes, try to be a better people person. I sent a Thank You card to the lady interviewer who did all she could to try to discredit my experience and it was hard to send that card.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
THanks, I kind of suspected all of above. Like mentioned I think the people skills will come, but strange why I get hired for call centers when people skills are an issue, where as most desk jobs where I would have little contact with people are turned down. Its like I am over qualified for one end and under for the others. Then the disability factor. I though I had the perfect dream job as a warranty guy at a ford dealer. Made the appointment to come in, filled out the forms, waited for the intereview. I arrived an hour early, etc. Then the boss comes in to "interview" me and said the position has already been filled. Said the warranty guy from another dealer applied. I felt he was blowing me off, so I tried to rattle his cage. I asked him how long do you think he would last here til he transfers to another dealer? He said they have problems with management at that dealer, lots of people quit there. I then said to let me know if he wants someone who can deal with conflict and hostile situations. He said he will give him 3 weeks then may call us back who applied for the job.

On the other hand, I may jsut have fun and bleach my hair. Ive tried the clean look and dress for an interview, maybe a different look will help?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all my jobs and job searching, my lack of an actual degree in my chosen field was only a problem to 1 firm. They weren't even interested in meeting me because they were a consulting firm that made a big deal about the degrees and education of the people they tried to place. (If I were a manager I'd be very wary of a place that sold their people's degrees over their accomplishments!)

You do have to be a fast talker sometimes to get around it, but once you do have the experience for most things the education no longer really matters. It's getting that first job or 2 without the degree that requires a LOT of fast talking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ah, how I remember fondly the long string of exaggerations I had to spin to get that first real job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having worked in several large organizations I can say that people skills don't matter much once you're in. But you're really going to have to kiss some backside to get to the point where you can let it lapse again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I never really understood interviewing and human resources people. Answering their often bizarre questions was a trial to say the least. But if you can keep a smile and not let them know you think they are bizarre and get through to the next stage where they bring in someone from the actual job area to talk to you, the technical stuff I always did good on. But you've got to somehow get past that first stage where they are only interested in finding out if you're a team player and other such nebulous ideals...

I also went through dry periods without jobs. Took me 6 months to find a decent job in Wisconsin after we moved there. (that was when I took a job at the local phone company as a programmer that lasted exactly 9 hours before I quit) Hang in there and find a way to keep that smile when you're meeting with the HR folks...

*Retired*
Hey cobb.

If you think about it, in reality your are selling yourself to them.

Often times it is useful to take awhile after the interview, to sit down and think about the interview. Get out a piece of paper. Write down those things you think went well, and those that didn't. Now, try to figure out why the items that went well, went well. Do the same for the things that you feel didn't go well. Try to come up with a way to keep the the things that went good, and how to change things that went bad. I did they have any objections, if so, was it really a misunderstanding, and did you overcome it in either case? Many interviewers like to feel like they are in control, did you try to take control from them? How could you control the flow and result, but let them feel like they are in control? The situation differs if you are talking to your future boss, as compared to some HR person.

Next, put yourself in their shoes. Try to think of what they are looking for. Why did they ask certain questions? What possible answers could they be looking for?

When I went looking for a job after the military, I took classes on resumes, interviewing and stuff like that. I made five different types of resumes. Then I posted those resumes on over 200 different job sites, putting different ones on different sites. I also went to company websites and submitted resumes specifically tailored for each company. I got 38 interview offers, picked out seven I liked (after talking to them on the phone), interviewed with seven, got offers from five, chose one.

Another method is through networking, or through folks you know.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbodog, interesting question. I have mainly looked at desk jobs, administrated assistant, customer service, cold calling, call centers, sales desk job based. I have never gave any though to benefits, pay or the tesks involved. I just look for jobs where I have transportation to, are within the hours of the van service and do not require a valid driver's license. I have no idea what the ideal job is and from my experience talking to others, many hate their jobs, but do it to earn money to buy food. I rather work in equipment, cars or something other than insurance, finance, but I have applied to a few, both private and government. Heck, I have even applied at the usual suspects, Best Buy, Circuit City, Dress Barn, Sams, Walmart, BJs, Lowes, Home Depot, faxed resume to other equipment dealers in the area. For the most part I receive call backs for pure commission positions, jobs outside of the richmond area or my hours.

Newbie "Next, put yourself in their shoes. Try to think of what they are looking for. Why did they ask certain questions? What possible answers could they be looking for?" That is a loaded question. I wouldnt hire a 300 pound guy in a wheelchair which is 2 feet plus wide and over four feet long who sits over 5 feet tall. I shave, comb my hair, put on a dress shirt, tie and pants not to mention dress shoes that were hard to find. I guess the reason I get or end up with call centers is the fact those have high turn over and hard to keep staffed so I am the alternative to the "normal" person they would hire. I wouldnt mind obsecure out of the ordinary jobs, just got to find them.

What do ya guys think of me dressing in street cloths, wearing tennis shoes, bleach my hair so I am different? What I have been doing aint working.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i feel your pain.

i'm 20 years old. dropped out of highschool my freshman year. no GED/diploma/equivalency diploma. took the SAT's and did well to get into college, but still struggle with money (thank the gods for granma's and loans). never held a real job, just work construction part time when i can (even tho i'm insanely out of shape) to get funds when really needed, and some odd jobs. i've been diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, plus asthma. and to top it all off i'm only 5'8" and 165lbs which really gets in the way of my acting career, modelling career, and professional basketball career. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

add to that fact that almost everyone in my family is a pretty successful person, and i get alot of crap.

i'm just gonna try to survive and trudge thru college and hopefully get something with my degree(s). college should always be an option in this day and age, man.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats how I feel Ryan. Except I am 27, 300 pounds, blind and in a wheelchair. Dont worry, Ive met folks worse off than me.

I have taken those tests to determine your job. Sorry but most relate to construction operators and there is just no way in hell I can operate a earth mover, bull dozer, crane, dump truck, balast regulator and other construction equipment. I may be able to handle the flag guy job, but one is never that lucky.