My First Blizzard

guncollector

Enlightened
Wow, all these years of travelling around the world, and here I am in midtown New York for my first BLIZZARD ever.

And, no, I didn't pack any boots of cover-ups for my shoes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

Any advice on how to "weather" the blizzard?

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
stay indoors!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chapstick, gloves and a hat. Drive slowly and carefully. Since it's your first blizzard ENJOY it since ya can't stop it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live for blizzards, which is one reason I remain in one of Wisconsin's challenging employment areas. The lakeshore north of Milwaukee is often the recipient of "lake effect" snow when wind blows off of Lake Michigan. Sometimes I wish that I lived in lower Michigan where the wind USUALLY is from off the lake, with even more snow...whoopie! Like tiktok said: "enjoy it". Blizzards are more fun when prepared but that requires an expensive, initial, investment. Footware, socks, liners, proper layers of outerware, mittens, gloves, face shields, caps, balaclavas. Unless you plan on using these items with some regularity and for the next few years, look for used items.

If you are driving...OMG! Safe winter driving takes some practice and too many people don't remember the techniques from year to year. Good Luck.

pianoman

Enlightened
First Blizzard of 2005 in Northeast, at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
guncollector said:
Wow, all these years of travelling around the world, and here I am in midtown New York for my first BLIZZARD ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually order a large, chocolate chip Blizzard. What I don't get is why the "large" Blizzard is only as big as the "medium" shake. A large shake is much bigger than a large Blizzard.

Oh, wait - you're probably not talking about "Dairy Queen" are you?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chuck

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out for the other guy, and drive like your grandmother.

Always cover your head, hands, and feet way better than you think you need to.

Don't be afraid to seem wimpy and stay indoors.

Chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

Weather like this is serious doo-doo and can really ruin your day. You can't learn to deal with it effectively in a day. Since you can't win by fighting it, learn to live with it. It is pretty neat to stand back and watch it.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of you guys buy shovels once the reports of snow come out? I'm puzzled on how it seems there's always a run on shovels every year the snows come.
Is it just from breakage, or do people throw away their shovels at the end of every season?
Or, maybe it's from all the new homeowners out there that never had any before-

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a steel bladed shovel I've had for years...and a brother with a blade on the front of his GMC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
tiktok, you're pretty smart for a FIB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding about being a FIB; I've lot's of great relatives in Ellen-noids. Now, now, just hold your tongue and say "cheese". It must be difficult to Bear, having to live underneath Wisconsin. Sorry, I can't help myself.

As tiktok said, a steel blade is best. It's heavier but will allow you to scrape the sidewalk beneath hard Packered snow...and they last for many years. I'm using three oldies from the 1950's - the blades are shorter, now, but outlast any aluminum or plastic POS sold as a snow shovel.

Duncan

Newly Enlightened
"Be prepared". That pretty much sums it up like everybody else did too. One of the best investments for winter though, wool socks. They are probably the best invention mankind ever came up with (well, maybe penicillin was just a bit better...). As to the the shovel suggestions, you generally want both types, the plastic and the metal. If you have a driveway, and you haven't driven over the snow covering it yet (ie: it's morning after snowfall) the lightweight plastic one with a wide mouth is much better than a metal one. It's once the snow is compacted that things get tough. Once you have driven over a patch of snow even 3-4 times, it will be impossible to use the plastic one to break it up easily. Then you whip out the steel one and set to work on it.

In terms of car items, you should generally have with you (at all times): a snowbrush for the windows, signal flare if you feel you need it, an emergency shovel that's pretty durable (they actually can break!), a blanket or two, and some water. A cellphone to call for help is always good too. And this being CPF and all, I guess I must include the obligatory flashlight+batteries. Depending on where you live and how bad your storms get, you might want to carry a chain for towing purposes, and other random misc items you feel you might need.

If it gets pretty cold, long underwear is godly, as well as snowpants and some nice snowboots. Always bundle up though, frostbite comes WAY faster than you would expect.

PS: Anybody else in Nova Scotia? It's unbelieveable weather here. 40cm last Monday, around 10 on Thursday, and other 35cm being called for tonight/tommorow (Saturday-Sunday). That's going to be like what...75cm in one week. Fun and all, but I was told the valley was supposed to be mild (Wolfville/Acadia). Guess I was wrong about Calgary being cold, it's just weird weather there (from there too)...

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was at the jacob javits center for the motorcycle show. drove down. bought leather chaps and a coup[le of leather gauntlet. tried to go to mcdonalds but it closed early because of the snow. i am drinking green tea now to stay warm. unfortunately now i go to the potty repeatedly. i am freezing. i'll be closing the bedroom window soon. just closed the bathroom and kitchen window.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
tiktok, you're pretty smart for a FIB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding about being a FIB; I've lot's of great relatives in Ellen-noids. Now, now, just hold your tongue and say "cheese". It must be difficult to Bear, having to live underneath Wisconsin. Sorry, I can't help myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, for starters guncollector since you're from CA I'm guessing your body isn't acclimated to cooler weather so dress warmly. Layers are better both for flexibility and warmth. Me, I can go out in 10°F with a sweater, a windbreaker, and a sweatshirt, but then again I love cold weather and I'm acclimated to it.

Next, take a hint from the locals and if you must travel do so by subway. The streets are obviously a mess but I heard nearly all the subway lines are running without delays. In fact, taking the subway is good advice even in the best of times as bus or auto seldom beats it in travel time.

Lastly, if you do venture out on foot try to stick to commercial streets where the sidewalks are more likely to have been cleared. In residential areas like where I am you're at the mercy of the individual property owners, and let me just say that some of these sidewalks by me will still have this same snow on them come March, unless of course it melts. Some people just never shovel the sidewalks at all around here so the going is tough.

That's about it for now. Enjoy your stay in New York, and by all means come around again. I personally think New York is at its best during the colder months, especially around the Christmas holidays. If nothing else, a blizzard is something of a rarity even for us northerners so enjoy the experience. I actually look forward to blizzards. I don't enjoy shoveling the snow, but a few days of cleaner air and not hearing airplanes makes it worthwhile.

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
I live for blizzards, which is one reason I remain in one of Wisconsin's challenging employment areas. The lakeshore north of Milwaukee is often the recipient of "lake effect" snow when wind blows off of Lake Michigan. Sometimes I wish that I lived in lower Michigan where the wind USUALLY is from off the lake, with even more snow...whoopie!

[/ QUOTE ]
Jayflash-
I didnt' realize that you were a fellow weather-freak! Weather freaks look back on events like blizzards, hurricanes, & lightning storms as cozy memories. And I am among the worst.

Yes, blizzards are one of natures's great shows. Find a warm place with a good view of the proceedings. Grab a cup of hot chocolate. Forget about your daily cares and just enjoy the performance!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Hi Duncan, I'm from Nova Scotia too. I'm not too far from you, north of Coldbrook, N.S. The snow's just started to fall now; we may get about 40 cm or about 1.3 feet of snow this time. At the end of the day, I'll bet there'll be close to four feet in total on the ground. I hope it doesn't melt later on in one go. We had a lot of flooding a couple of years ago.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avoid open areas.

I made the mistake of getting caught in a mild blizzard after dark and barely found a mountain lodge 200 meters away after wandering around in circles for nearly an hour. Really scary.

Doubt there is much danger in NYC.. but Central Park was big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Boston this weekend on business travel. It was 80 when I left LA last Monday. Here, there is about 2 feet of new snow with more coming down hard, winds are gusting past 50 mph, and it's maybe 10 degrees - not counting wind chill.

I bundled up and went out for a few minutes to experience it. It was entertaining, but I think I want to get off this planet now and go back to Earth... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
All kidding aside, in another thread I read of a guy who had car trouble in -40F temps....

Had it been engine failure, he probably wouldn't be here to tell it!

I was just a pup when we lived in snow country IL and NJ.

I thought it was a hoot!

I can't really say I'd want to live up there these days!!!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have plenty of bon bons to sit around and eat because you can only play with lights indoors for so long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif