how many paypals without creditcards?

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
How many of you guys use paypal without creditcards? i plan on applying for one, but don't plan on giving my card number to then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use it with a credit card as that is the exact reason I use paypal. I use it to buy stuff that I don't wish to add to the credit card balance. In most cases if I wanted to use the credit card, I would do so rather then paypal. I realize this doesn't work for personal transactions.

gessner17

Enlightened
You have to give them a credit card# or you can't sign up. This is for their protection because when you make a transaction they take the hit of 3 days that it takes to transfer funds from bank account to paypal account, if there aren't funds in it, it defaults to your credit card. Unlesss they have changed their policies, I think that is how it is.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
PayPal eccentricity:
They have mine listed under "Visa Credit Card", but it's really connected to one of my checking accounts (for which tey have had the acct.# since 1999. This is really just a "Visa" debit card.

To get to get it technically right, will require an 800# phone call.
-Trying to email them to correct this..- Forget it!, it's an exercise in sheer futility. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have Paypal linked to a bank account. I'm too poor to qualify for a credit card, so I've never had one.
I signed up for Paypal when it was fairly new (I think it may have still been called "www.x.com") and I've probably been grandfathered in if Paypal requires one to have a credit card now.

Currently, I have my Paypal account linked to a bank account and the ATM card associated with it, so there is no 3-4 day wait time for Paypal to access and withdrawl from the bank account. The transfer occurs at once.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not have to give them a credit card number to sign up. Just my bank checking acount info. Of course I could not purchase items until funds cleared from the bank checking account to paypal.

[ QUOTE ]
gessner17 said:
You have to give them a credit card# or you can't sign up. This is for their protection because when you make a transaction they take the hit of 3 days that it takes to transfer funds from bank account to paypal account, if there aren't funds in it, it defaults to your credit card. Unlesss they have changed their policies, I think that is how it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
You won't have a PayPal confirmed address, without a credit card on your account. Many sellers will not ship to an unconfirmed address.

I think you may have a limit (without a credit card) to the total amount you can purchase, after which your PayPal account is useless for purchases. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

oldgrandpajack

bhds

Enlightened
Good luck/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I originally signed up with them 3-4 yrs ago without a credit card. That worked fine until I actually started buying stuff online. Didnt want to let them have access to my bank acct. So I forked over my cc number and everything was fine until I started running into people who didnt accept cc funded payments. (grandpa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif) So I deleted my cc from the account and linked it to a special checking acct I setup for paypal only. Figured if something went wrong my losses would be limited to the amt. in that acct only. After 3 or 4 transactions I found out that my payments were being delayed 2-4 days until the money was actually transferred from checking acct to paypal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif After talking to 3, yes 3 people at paypal it was determined that in order to have the transaction processed immediately I either needed the funds in the acct or a cc backing up the wire transfer from checking to paypal acct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Yes, you can have an acct without a cc. If you want to buy something but dont have enough cash in the acct (a problem with us flashaholics) you will be limited to a few days delay while the money is being transferred from your bank acct. It might be different if you link to a debit card like Craig has.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never ever , ever give paypal access to my checking account. Credit cards can be monitored and ultimately contested, but if an error is made with my (CASH) I would be so out of luck. Their pitch to get you confirmed by attaching a real bank account to paypal seems to be a stretch of credibility if you ask me. If I did attach a bank account to paypal it would have to be one that I left only minimum amounts of money in it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Like bhds I established a separate checking account for Paypal and carefully limit the funds there. I would never give Paypal access to my "real" checking account.

Brightnorm

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually you can challenge PayPal transaction to your checking account. They come in via ACH, and there are well defined rules which your bank will be happy to advise you of, but you have a limited time to challenge them.

The real hazard however is in paying for things out of PayPal balances, or leaving balances in a PayPal account.
The PayPal Guarantee and protection scheme has more holes in it than a screen door, and the FDIC pass through protection might get you 1 or 2 cents on the dollar. Think about it. Insurance is $100,000 per account that PayPal holds, and on any given day, between PayPal balance, and transactions, PayPal probably has its hands on $70 million or so. How far does even 10 accounts go toward covering $70,000,000? about 1.5 cents on the dollar........

The real problem is that PayPal payments out of a PayPal balance are really non recourse transactions, and my advice is avoid them like the plague. A PayPal electronic check, ACH transaction, or credit card transaction is subject to recourse via Federal Rules and regulations from your bank. PayPal is carefully designed to fit in the space between a Financial institution such as a bank, and financial services company such as a stock broker. As a result, they are not subject to Federal regulation, or oversight, both of which provide recourse.

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, i would like to send a money order if possible, doesn't give me all the troubles and risks, however, i kidda live "outside" the states, i usually send small amounts through mail, (technically not allowed), but i would't risk that with 250 bucks, anyone have any ideas? (planning on getting the Gladius from Night-ops) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif man that light is impressive...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
I would never ever , ever give paypal access to my checking account. Credit cards can be monitored and ultimately contested, but if an error is made with my (CASH) I would be so out of luck. Their pitch to get you confirmed by attaching a real bank account to paypal seems to be a stretch of credibility if you ask me. If I did attach a bank account to paypal it would have to be one that I left only minimum amounts of money in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am opening a small checking account which will be used only for paypal.

when making a purchase, i will transfer just enough money to cover it.
when i sell something, i will quickly transfer the money OUT of the account into a primary account.

if paypal tries to screw me, they will be siezing a rather small account.

i guess i could attach a credit card (which can be contested, i guess) but it kinda creeps me out a bit.

hopefully all will work out.

Bob