Need Help Please - EverLed W/3 C123 lithiums?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Folks,

Many thanks to the suggestion on this board to convert the 2C Maglight to three C123 lithiums with the higher voltage bulb.

It worked out much, much, slicker than I imagined. I got just the right sized hose from Shucks automotive. It fit in the barrel real tight. The C123 drop in real nice and smooth and there is absolutely no evident rattle whatsoever. I only had to crimp/bend the rear spring contact a bit to make contact with the smaller C124 negative end. Brought back new life and interest in the obsolete 2C Mag. Test in two transformed lights reveals no overheating - lens melting - reflector melting, etc. However, I have not run it continuously for an hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

QUESTION: I would love to drop my EverLed into one of these conversions. It certainly would not be as bright, but it would be a very good car flashlight with the long run time and lithium batteries. Can I safely do this? I believe the EverLeds are rated for up to a 6 cell flashlight which equates to 9 volts; however, I've read here that the C123 put out more than the 3 volts on their label. I don't want to fry my $40 EverLed with a stupid experiment, but really want to do it if reasonably sane.

Many thank kind people.

watt4

Enlightened
I haven't used an everled, but wouldn't the runtime be better with the 2xC batteries? (and brightness about same)

turbodog

Flashaholic
I hear you on the "excess voltage" question. But, I'd shoot for using the regular c cells if I could. There's only a very slight brightness difference.

I run my everled in a 3c mag. It gets full brightness in the 3 cell light.

You could consider using a dummy 123 cell maybe.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
In my case, lithiums are a must because this will be a car storage emergency light.

As far as brightness, you are pretty much correct. I've had my two EverLeds for quite some time and have used them in just about every PR base flashlight I have. To me, they are noticably dimmer in a 2 Cell flashlight. The are pretty much maxed out with a 3 cell. I've generally used then in 4 cell flashlights simply because I normally use AA lithiums and have lots of lights in 4AA configuration.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I just got off the EverLed web site and they say it will work in a six cell flashlight.

Don't know why I didn't do this before, but six new Alkies test to be about 9.65 volts and three new C123 measured at 9.04 volts.

Voltage wise, the Alkies are significantly higher. Is there something about the delivery/chemistry of the lithiums that would do the EverLed in?

UPDATE: I should mention that I'm using Surefire C123 - this may or may not make a difference. Strange, I always thought the lithiums were a higher voltage that I got.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think that it is an internal thing in the batteries.

Up to a given current draw the Lith will SLAUGHTER an Alk, and I'm pretty sure it never gets better.

If you have to use Liths, use two and a dummie. It's still more than three Alk voltage.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this helps any, but I could make you a buck regulated 2c magmod with a 1, or 3 watt led to run off of 3 cr123s.

I made a prototype of that yesterday with a 3 watt and a georges80 1 amp buck circuit, and it works great so far.

Runtime on it appears to be about 2.5 hours solid on 123's

The bad news.
It's another $99 on top of what you have already spent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

davidra

Enlightened
Do NOT use an Everled in the 2C mod. I spoke directly to Everled about it. For the period of time that it did work it would not be very bright. If you're concerned about bulb life, you need to get either the Reflectalite GH24 or the Ikelite PcA bulbs. They will clearly outlast a KPR112...and keep a spare in the endcap. This mod is not ideal for a car emergency light IMHO; I keep a high power LED (either a T3 or a 3Lux Nuwai (2 level) because I know I don't have to worry about a bulb burning out in an emergency. It'a great mod for blowing people's minds and for finding channel markers in the dark in a boat...but I always have a backup.