It was just the best evening ever!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I got to hear what have to be the three best things a flashaholic can hear this evening! I was out hiking with some friends of mine (we'll call them B and R, to keep it anonymous) this afternoon, and when we were about a mile away from the car, it starts getting pretty dark, and B says:
1. "Hey, I forgot my flashlight, it's back at the truck. Anybody got a spare?"
Who doesn't like to hear that question? Well, I *did* have a spare, so I loaned him my SF L2. After a few minutes of using it, he said:
2. "Hey, this is a really NICE light!"
Well, I know I liked hearing that! We continued on - we were laying out a trail of reflective marking tacks. Well, R decided that we should use an average flashlight to check the trail, to make sure others could find it. Well, I was using my SF L6, and I kept forgetting and looking to see the markers myself, which made my friend say:
3. "Quit it Benchmark - that light is just TOO bright - it's no fair!"
Man, that just made my evening! I ask you, can it get any better than that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you need is a U2, so you can dial it down, and then it is fair.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif U2 level 1 vs 2AA MM

Perfect would be B and R going "here's the money go get us one of those" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
That is very cool!

Over the holidays I took my MiniM*g (with an InReTECH 2xAA "Enahnced White") to my in-laws and my brother in law was simply amazed that such a small ight could work so well. After a week there, and many more accolades, I had to leave it with him - he was SO happy with his new light!

Of course, being a future Flashaholic in training, when I got back the first thing I did was to oder a replacement kit!

Will

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
All you need is a U2, so you can dial it down, and then it is fair.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif U2 level 1 vs 2AA MM

Perfect would be B and R going "here's the money go get us one of those" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you rock! That is the first and best rationalization I've heard for me buying one of those lights. I've been struggling to find a reason, and you, my friend, just gave me one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Actually I talked my friend "R" into buying an Inova XO3. I think my friend "B" may start modding his maglights. I am trying to spread my knowledge of lights (gained here!) with my friends who like to hike and geocache at night, because people who hike at night need reliable lights.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heheh cool, another one addicted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Even before I got the U2, I realized that it would solve the classic battery life problem without requiring that I carry both lights. Sometimes you need a bright light, sometimes you need long runtime. So what gives? The U2 fixes that. I'm now a complete sucker for variable power lights. Someone waved a PocketMate-V in my face the other day and I caved in within seconds... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

So you have a nice, moderately bright light for walking and level 6 for "WTF WAS THAT" you encounter on a completely unlit path. As a bonus it sips juice too. On level 3, it's as bright as my KL1 (which I suspect is an R-bin 1W), but the KL1 lasts only 4.5 hours on a 2-cell power pack. The U2 lasts 11 solid hours. How'd the heck did they do that? I still can't figure it out.

Keep lighting the way, I can't imagine going out on a night hike without a REALLY good light! Mags are surprisingly nice mod platforms once you get to know them.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr.Benchmark!

Way to "wow" them!!!

Chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

jbev

Newly Enlightened
Reminds me of my dad when I called him the other night to see if he wanted a spare 6P I had before I put it up for sale. He said that he had enough lights (ones that I gave him) and that if he needed anything else I always have something. Good to know that's why he loves me… for my lights.