Wireless news ticker

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they make a wireless news ticker? Something I could have on my desk at work and read the news? Maybe a alphatext pager? I dont own a internet ready phone, so I would need a new device and a news ticker cant be installed on the computer. THanks

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Some alpha pagers can get newsfeeds, but you generally have to monkey with the buttons to read each individual story, so it's not a ticker per se. There are plenty of RSS readers that can put a ticker on your pc screen, but nothing that's a standalone wireless unit that I know of.

There's probably a way to accomplish this with a blackberry or other PDA with WiFi.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I kind of figured that.... Guess its off to my palm 3c reading yesterdays news with advantgo. I do not believe they make a wireless thing for that model.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Yeah, I kind of figured that.... Guess its off to my palm 3c reading yesterdays news with advantgo. I do not believe they make a wireless thing for that model.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized that some stations are broadcasting RDS data, and there's a small handful of RDS receivers out there. Since a few stations use them for news, you could concieveably have a desktop news ticker with one of those. You can also roll your own RDS receiver here...

The thing is that there's a competing data-over-radio system coming out, which is probably going to muddy the waters with data transmission the same way that the competing AM-stereo systems destroyed the market. Do you know anyone with an AM stereo radio? I don't either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand they use less than a penny of chips in an am radio and if they put more effort into it it could out perform fm. I use to have a chevy k1500 that had a stereo am radio and it would show stereo in am mode on certain stations, mainly they broadcasted during the day, then went to mono at night.