Flawless Execution

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I guess this topic could be a means of seeing what manufactures are getting it right, and a tip of the hat to those who succeeded in the past. How about a short list of your LED lights that just seemed to be perfect, or close to it, right out of the box. I'm talking fit, finish, and function. The light doesn't need to be the brightest or the most expensive (I don't have any of those), just those that do what they're supposed to flawlessly. I've got a few, a couple I use, a couple I mostly admire.

Arc AA- From the first batch. Too nice to carry

Arc LSLST- From the last batch. Anodizing, Beam, Perfect

Peak Matterhorn- Brass, Snowy LEDs, Smooth operator

UK 4AA eLED- Tough, Practical, Great all purpose light

Eveready Accent Lantern- Useful in so many ways

Geoff

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flawless? Hmm. 1 out of 8 Ultra-G's that I have is truly flawless, although the flaws in the others are extremely minor. I've got a lot of lights that are close, like my L4 & QIII, but I'd say my best Ultra-G is the only one that's absolutely flawless. Maybe I'm too picky, though. .

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The LionHeart. No complaints about its execution. Beam is less than perfect, but I can say that about all lights I own.

Second the UK eLED 4xAA. It's not the brightest, toughest, most waterproof, or longest-burning, but it has an ideal balance of all those features. Very unique beam profile that's useful at almost all distances within reach of its compact reflector.

Dorcy AAA. At its price-point, it's an amazing light that's surprisingly durable and incredibly useful.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Pelican M6 LED - The only way to improve it would be HA, Lux III, and regulation... and Batterystation is taking care of that for us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

UK 4AA eLED - It's the Saturn of flashlights (small, econimical, reliable, and... ummm... plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lionheart - terrific workmanship, goes from a mini throw-monster to a battery miser and everything between, good user interface.

Surefire L4. A nice big flood of light from a very small package. Does one thing and does it very well.

CMG Infinity Ultra - my go-to light. Completely reliable, good output, small package.

Mike

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the responses. In some cases I may have been slightly misunderstood. What I was trying to zero in on are your lights that might be considered exceptions. Probably most everyone has great lights that fall short of "perfection" in one area, maybe beam shape or tint, or the finish isn't consistant, or the parts don't fit just right. Most of mine fall into this group. It was those that you just can't find a problem with that I was looking for, not a particular brand or model in general. Of course, I understand that everyone's standards and expectations a different. Thanks, again.

Geoff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA. It's perfect down to the micro-machining. No rough edges either. Still on the first battery!! I won't be selling this, it's too valuable to me as a tool!! Makes me even more proud to have one that I use!!

My expectations were greatly exceeded when I received this light. It was better on all accounts I was hoping for.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I was particularly lucky, but my U2 is as close to perfect as I've ever seen. Modifying it is unthinkable and it keeps on impressing day after day. Tint and flux are incredible - it takes 3xLux3s grouped together or a Surefire P91 to beat it. Runs 18650s, despite the 'official' line that only CR123s are supported. Bezel down clips own me. I can't settle for anything else ever again.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin: Did your U2 come with an X-bin from the factory or was it a mod? Either way you're extremely lucky to have X bin!!!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
My surefire L6. It's big, but it fits in my cargo pants pockets. It looks absolutely bitchin' - my kids refer to it as "The Light Saber". Mine is perfectly white and it throws like crazy. It is the best light I own, and it impresses everyone who sees it. It has enough spill for walking the trail at night, and way more throw than I need. Perfect. The syringe grip seemed just awful to me when I first saw it, but it's now absolutely second nature to me. (Why aren't they all like that?) It makes it easy to hold a GPSr and the light in the same hand. Even when the batteries are petering out on it, it still pumps out lots o' lumens. I love it!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Kevin: Did your U2 come with an X-bin from the factory or was it a mod? Either way you're extremely lucky to have X bin!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that I have absolutely no proof other than my eyes as to my suspicion that it is a X-bin.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif not modified in any way.

However, when doing the ceiling bounce test and using the light, it even beats my severely-overdriven W-bin Luxeon V (now in the good hands of icarus) running 917mA. It even beat the Mag3X when I first built the 3X, only after the Vf shift and the seasoning of the NiMHs is the Mag3X a little brighter nowadays.

Perhaps that was skewing my impression that the Mag3X wasn't putting out enough light, because I was comparing it against the U2 all the time.

Things like these make you go hmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif