Newbie needs flashlight advice

greywolf

Newly Enlightened
OK, guys - here's the deal.

I want to get a relatively inexpensive light that will be used MAINLY for IR illumination in conjunction with my NV scope.

As much as I would like the Surefire M6 with IR filter, I can't swing that kind of cash.

The light I get must be mountable on my AR-15 rifle - it has Pic rails all along the handguards.

what do you think of these?

http://streamlight-flashlights.com/stingerxthp.html

Seems like about 250 lumens - true, it is a bit larger and heavier than comparable lumen Surefires, but the price is incredible and they are rechargeable. I think I could probably deal with the extra weight and bulk if I could get great performance like this.

Do the Streamlights also hold up OK to recoil from guns?

Also, I wonder what type of mounting systems are available for the Stinger lights?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't know much about that light, but the Ultra Stinger is blinding. It seems that most Streamlightes are great though.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not get the light made for your purpose the SureFire M1 only $123 and you might get it cheaper if you look around. While Streamlight makes great lights the light you are looking at is not intended to be put on a weapon and I don't think it would last.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Pelican M6 incandesant with a Surefire 6P IR filter. Pelican also makes a tape switch for the M6. Lamp assemblies are reasonably priced also. See them here CPF Specials at Battery Station

If you are going to use it for NV you also might want to consider the LED version of the M6. It has a 3 watt LED and is going to be regulated. You can use the Pila 168S rechargeable battery in it. Delivery date is set for March 2005.

greywolf

Newly Enlightened
So, how do I find the Pelican tape switches and a way to mount it on my rifle?

Latest posts